Max Boat Speed w/ 2 Engines: Proportional to v^2 Resistive Force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Myopical
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Here is a question that I came across while doing my problem set questions:

A boat experiences a resistive force that is proportional to v^2. If the maximum speed of a boat is V when one engine is at full throttle, what would be the maximum speed if two engines were used?

I assume this so-called resistive force is like air resistance, but when I searched up the formulas, they're absolutely long and I will never be able to solve those with my current math skills.

The way I tried to see this problem is that if it is related to energy or something, can anyone help me here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to balance forces. Finding the equation of motion is very difficult because the v^2 term makes the equation of motion a non linear ODE.
 
The maximum speed implies forces are balanced , with the boat moving at constant velocity, that is, the force delivered by the engine equals the resistive force, kv2. Two engines can deliver twice the force. What does this imply about the maximum speed when 2 engines are used? You would need a good knowledge of calculus to find the equation of motion for the speed at any time t, but you don't need any advanced math to solve for the maximum speed.