Max Height of Ball Thrown Up in 0.5 Seconds at 2m Window

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Free-fall
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
PhizKid
Messages
477
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A ball thrown up falls back down in front of a window from where an observer sees the ball for a total of 0.5 seconds. The window is 2 m. tall. What is the maximum height of the ball?


Homework Equations


1D Kinematic equations


The Attempt at a Solution


YGHmW.png


I got that initial velocity from the bottom of the window by using [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex].

I set the seconds to 0.25 since 0.5 is the total, and -9.8 for the acceleration of gravity.

Then I plugged all of that back into [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex] by setting V^2 = 0 because the velocity at the highest point is 0, V_0 is the previously found initial velocity, acceleration is -9.8 again, and x - x_0 is the unknown. I got 1.88 m., which is obviously wrong because the window itself is 2m. But I guess it could be the answer, but I'm not sure. It doesn't look right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:
I got that initial velocity from the bottom of the window by using [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex].

How did you get the initial velocity from this?
 
Take maximum height as the starting point where the ball being dropped.