What would be the Wigner-Seitz cell of this lattice?

In summary, the Wigner Seitz cell is a small, irregular shape that contains only one lattice point and is obtained by tracing bisectors.
pepediaz
Homework Statement
Given the lattice shown in attempt to a solution, consider white circles are atoms (of the same type). What would be the Wigner-Seitz cell of this lattice?
Relevant Equations
Not actually
I know WS cell only contains one lattice point, so we would have to trace bisectors, and obtain some kind of irregular shape.

Anyways, I wanted to check if what I did is okay. It is considering a fictitious point as the center of the (non-primitive) unit cell, which would be one of those hexagons. I don't know if the dotted square would be a WS, or if I should obtain an irregular shape.
1644104300165.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, what you have done is okay. The dotted square would be considered a primitive unit cell, while the hexagon would be a non-primitive unit cell. The non-primitive unit cell is made up of multiple primitive unit cells. The irregular shape you obtain when tracing bisectors is a Wigner Seitz cell and it is the smallest unit cell that contains only one lattice point.

1. What is a Wigner-Seitz cell?

The Wigner-Seitz cell is a geometric representation of a crystal lattice, named after the physicists Eugene Wigner and Frederick Seitz. It is the smallest unit cell that can be used to construct a crystal lattice and contains only one lattice point at its center.

2. How is the Wigner-Seitz cell determined?

The Wigner-Seitz cell is determined by drawing perpendicular bisectors to the lines connecting each lattice point with its nearest neighbors. The resulting shape is the Wigner-Seitz cell, which is repeated throughout the lattice to form the crystal structure.

3. What is the purpose of the Wigner-Seitz cell?

The Wigner-Seitz cell is used to define the boundaries of a crystal lattice and to understand the symmetry and properties of the lattice. It is also used in calculations of the electronic and magnetic properties of materials.

4. How does the shape of the Wigner-Seitz cell relate to the lattice structure?

The shape of the Wigner-Seitz cell is determined by the arrangement of the lattice points and the symmetry of the lattice. The cell will have the same symmetry as the lattice and will repeat throughout the crystal in a periodic manner.

5. Can the Wigner-Seitz cell be used for all types of lattices?

Yes, the Wigner-Seitz cell can be used for all types of lattices, including simple cubic, face-centered cubic, and body-centered cubic lattices. It can also be used for more complex lattices, such as hexagonal and diamond lattices.