1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max points, points of inflection

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

which best describes y=4x^3 - 3x^4
    find max/min points and inflection points

3. The attempt at a solution

When I work this one out I get x<0 and 0<x<1 as my two local max points. However, the book says there is only ONE max point - why is this?

with the second derivative I do get two inflection points of 0 and 1/2 which I assume to be correct.

Thoughts??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
    I think that you'll see where your mistakes are once you write down a clear definition of an inflection point, and of a local extremum. I'll go ahead and say this (because it's often a step that students forget): did you check that your critical points are in fact local max/min points? Likewise for inflection points.

Can you also post your solution?

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That makes no sense at all. Max/min points are individual points, not sets of points. HOW did you "work this one out"? If you mean that you got x= 0 and x= 1 as your max/min points, it is true that the derivative is 0 at x= 0 and x= 1, but that is not enough to be a max or a min.

That is not at all what I get. What is the second derivative?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?