Max Velocity and Height of Roller Coaster Track

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Panphobia
Messages
435
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


b7mank.jpg

A man starts riding on a frictionless roller coaster track at initial velocity v[itex]_{o}[/itex]. At point A the radius of the bend is r.

a) What is the maximum v[itex]_{o}[/itex] such that when the cart gets at point A it stays on the track?
b) Using you answer in a) what should h' be such that the cart only just makes it to point B?

Homework Equations



Ei = Ef
mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution


So this question was kind of bugging me, and I want to know if I got it right so for the a) part this is what I did firstly

mgh + (1/2)mv[itex]_{o}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = mg(2/3)h+1/2mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]
v = [itex]\sqrt{2gh/3 + Vo^2}[/itex]

and then since at point be its a circle and its looking for the max velocity until the normal force = 0 I did
mv^2/r = mg
v = [itex]\sqrt{rg}[/itex]
then
rg = 2gh/3 + v[itex]_{o}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
v[itex]_{o}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{g*(r-(2/3)h)}[/itex]THEN for b) I just used Energy again.
so
v = [itex]\sqrt{rg}[/itex]
Ei = (1/2)mrg + mg(2/3)h
Ef = mgh'
h' = r/2 + 2h/3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. :thumbs:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Oh thank you so much!This was one of two questions I was unsure of so I just went with my gut on it.