1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Velocity of a Water Rocket

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    Find the maximum velocity of a PET bottle rocket on a day with temperature 30 degrees celcius and pressure 1 atmosphere, if the pressure inside the bottle was 40 psi and the volume of water in the bottle was 300 mL.

I know of Tsiolkovsky's equation but i'm not quite sure how to use it here. Any help appreciated :smile:

EDIT: Pretty sure I need to find the exhaust velocity of the water given the above details. I have a formula that says [tex]\Delta p = \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2[/tex] where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the density of water and p is pressure that (I think) gives the exhaust velocity v but I don't know where the formula came from or if it is even correct.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2
    Feel free to ignore the first part of the question. I just need someone to explain that relationship between pressure and exhaust velocity there. Also I'm guessing that the density of water changes with temperature?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?