Maximal effect in an AC circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a question that requires long calculations to get the answer. The person has provided their solution, but is unsure if it is correct as it is their first time solving this type of exercise. They have included pictures and their solution in both Swedish and English. The calculation result given is R1=170 Ohm, C2=6.5uF. The person is unsure if there are any errors in their calculations and asks for help from others. They later discover that there may have been rounding errors in their calculations.
David331
Homework Statement
Determine R1 and C2 so that the power in A-B is maximal.
Relevant Equations
See below
Hello again, I have a solution for the question, but as it is my first time solving these types of exercises I am uncertain if I my solution is correct. The first picture represents the exercise with the circuit and the second is the just some rewrites of the circuit, in swedish. Picture 3 and 4 is my solution, in english. Any help is much appreciated.
inlm 2.png
1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This question requires long calculations to get the answer. My calculation result is R1=170 Ohm, C2=6.5uF.
I don’t know if I did something wrong that caused the calculation result to be inaccurate, but according to my calculation result is similar to yours, so I believe your calculation process is basically no problem.

Thanks for the answer! So, you got exact values of R1 and C2? Maybe there is just some rounding errors in prior computations? I will doublecheck my numbers once more.

This is probably due to rounding errors caused by my calculations being too sloppy, because in the calculation process, I used a very limited number of significant figures many times to write down the results displayed by the handheld calculator.

David331, here's what I got:

ParTran3.png

1. What is the maximal effect in an AC circuit?

The maximal effect in an AC circuit refers to the maximum amount of power that can be transferred from the source to the load in an alternating current (AC) system. It occurs when the voltage and current are in phase and the load impedance matches the source impedance.

2. How is the maximal effect calculated in an AC circuit?

The maximal effect in an AC circuit can be calculated using the formula Pmax = Vrms x Irms, where Vrms is the root-mean-square (RMS) voltage and Irms is the RMS current. This calculation assumes that the voltage and current are in phase and the load impedance matches the source impedance.

3. What factors affect the maximal effect in an AC circuit?

Several factors can affect the maximal effect in an AC circuit, including the source voltage, load impedance, and power factor. The source voltage and load impedance determine the maximum power that can be transferred, while the power factor represents the efficiency of power transfer.

4. How does the maximal effect differ from the average power in an AC circuit?

The maximal effect is the maximum amount of power that can be transferred in an AC circuit, while the average power is the average amount of power over a given period of time. The maximal effect occurs when the voltage and current are in phase, while the average power takes into account the phase difference between them.

5. Why is it important to consider the maximal effect in an AC circuit?

Understanding the maximal effect in an AC circuit is important for determining the maximum amount of power that can be transferred and ensuring efficient power transfer. It also helps in selecting the appropriate source voltage and load impedance for a given application to achieve the desired power output.