Maximum acceleration of a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring with a spring constant of 5.0 N/m and a 0.25 kg box attached to one end. The box is pulled down an additional 14 cm from its rest position, and the maximum height, speed, and acceleration of the box are calculated. The equation ma = kx + mg is used to find the maximum acceleration, with a calculated value of 2.8 m/s^2. However, there is confusion about the direction of the force and the total displacement of the spring when it is stretched.
rrosa522

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant of 5.0 N/m has a 0.25 kg box attached to one end such that the box is hanging down from the string at rest. The box is then pulled down another 14 cm from its rest position. Calculate the maximum height, the maximum speed, and the maximum acceleration of the box.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found maximum speed and height but I can't find the maximum acceleration
ma= kx+mg
(o.25)a= (5)(0.14m)+(0.25)(9.81)
a=12.61 m's^2
the answer is 2.8m/s^2
what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the FBD.

When the spring is stretched "another 14 cm", what is the total displacement of the spring? So what force does it apply? What direction?

gneill said:
Draw the FBD.

When the spring is stretched "another 14 cm", what is the total displacement of the spring? So what force does it apply? What direction?
is it ma=kx-mg instead of ma=kx+mg, even then I don't understand how acceleration can equal to 2.8m/s^2

You didn't answer my question: When the spring is stretched "another 14 cm", what is the total displacement of the spring? What was the initial displacement when the mass was just hanging at rest on the end of the spring?

1. What is maximum acceleration of a spring?

The maximum acceleration of a spring is the greatest rate of change in velocity that a spring can undergo. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is maximum acceleration of a spring calculated?

The maximum acceleration of a spring can be calculated using the formula a_max = -kx/m, where k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

3. What factors affect the maximum acceleration of a spring?

The maximum acceleration of a spring is affected by the spring constant, the mass attached to the spring, and the displacement of the spring. A stiffer spring, a greater mass, and a greater displacement will result in a higher maximum acceleration.

4. Why is maximum acceleration of a spring important?

Maximum acceleration of a spring is important because it determines the amount of force that the spring can exert on an object. It is also a key factor in understanding the motion and behavior of springs in various systems.

5. How can maximum acceleration of a spring be increased?

The maximum acceleration of a spring can be increased by increasing the spring constant, adding more mass to the spring, or increasing the displacement of the spring. It can also be increased by using a more efficient and stronger material for the spring.