1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum allowable probability of error for the (8, 4) Hamming Code

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the maximum allowable probability of error is a typical digit in order that the (8, 4) Hamming Code can be used with probability .999 that the receiver will not be misled (i.e., 3 or more errors occur) in a single word?

2. Relevant equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code#Hamming_codes_with_additional_parity_.28SECDED.29

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the (8, 4) extended Hamming code, what is the maximum allowable probability of error in a typical digit (p) so that the receiver will know with certainty .999 that she has not been misled. In other words, what value of p do we have to take so that the probability of 3 or more errors in transmission is smaller than .001.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's not an attempt at a solution.
    I assume wherever you wrote digit you meant binary digit, or bit.
    It's not clear to me that the probability of an undetected error is the same as the probability of 3 or more single bit errors in the same word. Certainly the code will detect all errors of one or two bits, and not all errors of three or more bits, but it might detect some errors of more than two bits.
    Putting that aside for now, suppose the prob of a single bit error is p. What is the probability of three or more errors in the same word? (How long is a word in this context?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted