Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum and Minimum Question?

1. Oct 24, 2004 #1
    I'm frustrated beyond belief with a proof.

Suppose we have an continuous even function with a domain of all real numbers. Now this function has limit as x goes to negative infinty equal to l and the limit as x goes to positive infinty is also equal to l.

I want to show that this function will either have a maximum or a minimum.

I'm not sure at all how to show this rigorously since I don't know how to apply the definition of a limit to limits at infinity. I think it has to do with bounds. And I need to do this without first derivative test.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Aren't the specifications you give consistent with the constant function f(x) = 1?

4. Oct 24, 2004 #3
    Did you think my l was a 1. Maybe I should write it differently.

lim (x-> -oo) f(x) = lim (x-> oo) f(x) = a
    and a is even.

Want to show f has either a minimum or a maximum.

5. Oct 24, 2004 #4

T@P

intuitively this makes sense, but rigorously you could show that unless it is a consant function (for example y = 1) then there must be a point where it switches between a positive and negative slope. Im not entirely sure what level of "rigorousness" you want.

6. Oct 25, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, you still have the problem that was pointed out by both selfadjoint and T@p:
    The constant function f(x)= a satisfies your conditions but does not have a maximum or minimum so the "theorem" as you stated it is not true.

If f(x) is NOT A CONSTANT FUNCTION, then there exist some x0 such that f(x0) is not equal to a and so is either larger than or less than a.

Assume f(x0)> a. Since limit as x-> infinity f(x)= a, there exist some x1> x0 such that f(x1)< f(x0).
    Similarly, since limit as x-> -infinity f(x)= a, there exist some x2< x0 such that f(x2)< f(x0). Since f is continuous on the closed and bounded interval [x2, x1] it must have both maximum and minimum values there. Now show that f has a maximum on -infinity to infinity.

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6
    I need help. Find the minimum of y = Absolute value of (sinx + cosx + tanx + cotx +
    secx + cscx) Thanks Ruth Jackson the_perfect_mom@hotmail.com

8. Oct 25, 2004 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need to add something about x1 here. Choose it in such a way that if x>x1 then f(x)<f(x0). Similar change with how you select x2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?