1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum angle of the refracted light beam

1. Jun 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A light ray falls from the air (##n_a=1##) into the center of the upper surface of a long cilindrical glass tube with an index of refraction ##n_t=3/2##. The tube is submerged into water all the way to the upper edge and the waters index of refraction is ##n_w=4/3##. What is the maximum entry angle of the light ray at which it will only be traveling inside the glass?
    a)##arcsine(1/6)##
    b)##arcsin(\sqrt{15}/6)##
    c)##arcsin(\sqrt{17}/6)##
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I gues the snells law must be used ##n_1sin(x_1)=n_2sin(x_2)## but i dont get the problem. What is meant by maximum entry angle at which the beam will be traveling inside the cylinder only and how do i get that? I dont know my starting points. Could you hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The light ray strikes the top of the cylinder at some angle. Refraction rotates it to a steeper angle within the glass. What might happen next?

4. Jun 19, 2016 #3
    I thought about it and i think the refracted ray inside the glass should come to the edge at a critical angle so that all of it gets reflected to the glass again and so on right?

5. Jun 19, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, though I'm not sure what you mean by "and so on" there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted