1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum current a superconductor can carry

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Niobium metal becomes a superconductor when cooled below 9 K. Its superconductivity is destroyed when the magnetic field inside the superconductor exceeds 0.100 T. Determine the maximum current a 3.00-mm-diameter niobium wire can carry and remain fully superconducting, in the absence of any external magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations
    So we know if B > 0.1 T, the superconductor is destroyed, thus we have to find an I that will not make it exceed such figure. The formula I was thinking of using is:

B = (μ0I)/(2∏r)

r = 1.5 mm, or 0.00015m
    B = 0.100 T
    Solve for I

3. The attempt at a solution

Solving for I: (B2∏r)/(μ0) = I

Does that make sense? I can't find much info in my book about superconductors to guide me

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2
    Anyone? I'm trying to do as good as possible in these assignments, but this one has got me stumped :/

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3
    That's the way I would do it. You'll have to assume a DC current is flowing so that the current is spread evenly across the wire cross section. Keep in mind you will be calculating B inside the wire.. how much of the current is enclosed when applying Ampere's Law?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook