What is the Maximum Height of a Pendulum with Given Initial Conditions?

In summary, the problem is that I'm having trouble formulating the problem correctly, and I'm hoping someone can show me where I'm going wrong.
99wattr89
I'm trying to solve this problem via Lagrangian mechanics, but I'm having trouble correctly formulating the problem, I'm hoping one of you kindly people can show me where I'm going wrong.

A pendulum bob of mass m hangs in the equilibrium position from a light, inextensible string of length l. It is given a horizontal velocity of (3gl)1/2. Find the vertical displacement of the bob when the string becomes slack.

So the bob has one degree of freedom, theta, the angle at which it hangs, and to find the height when the string goes slack we want the maximum height the bob can reach, which can be found if the maximum value of theta is calculated.

So L = T - U = (1/2)m(lθ.)2 - mgl(1-cosθ)

Is that correct so far?

If it is, then the problem I run into is that the Euler-Lagrange equation for this motion doesn't seem to be a differential I can solve, since I have θ.. +(g/l)sinθ = 0, and that doesn't seem to be solvable with the current methods I know.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for that link, I haven't had a chance to go through it in detail (it's been a hectic week), but it does look promising, I just need to figure it all out!

What is the maximum height of a pendulum?

The maximum height of a pendulum is the highest point that the pendulum reaches as it swings back and forth.

How is the maximum height of a pendulum calculated?

The maximum height of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation H = L + (L*cosα), where H is the maximum height, L is the length of the pendulum, and α is the angle of release.

Does the weight of the pendulum affect its maximum height?

Yes, the weight of the pendulum can affect its maximum height. A heavier pendulum will have a lower maximum height compared to a lighter pendulum with the same length and angle of release.

Can the maximum height of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the maximum height of a pendulum can be changed by altering the length and angle of release. A longer pendulum or a higher angle of release will result in a higher maximum height.

What factors can affect the maximum height of a pendulum?

The maximum height of a pendulum can be affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, the weight of the pendulum, and any external forces acting on the pendulum, such as air resistance or friction.