Kinematics - projectile motion - time to maximum height?

In summary: You are right, it is a parabola. But I do not think it was enough for finding the maximum height. It is different from the present problem, where we had to find the time. In summary, we are given the initial velocity of a water drop discharged from a fire hose aimed straight up, and asked to find the time it takes for the water drop to reach its maximum height. Using the equation Vfy=Viy+Ay*t, we can substitute the given values and solve for t, which gives a result of approximately 1.02 seconds. However, since the data is given with two significant digits, we can round off the result to t=1.0 seconds. This time represents the duration of the
kenji1992
Kinematics -- projectile motion -- time to maximum height?

Homework Statement

The nozzle of a fire hose discharges water at a speed of 10 m/s. The nozzle is aimed straight up. How long does it take for a water drop to reach its maximum height?
Start with translating the question:
vi= 10 m/s
vf= 0 m/s
t=? s
a= -9.8 m/s^2
delta−x= ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I'm assuming that solving this takes 2 steps. One entails finding the maximum height, then using a kinematic formula to find time. Is that logic sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the relevant equations?

ehild

I tried this:
Vfy=Viy+Ay*t
0 m/s=10 m/s-9.8 m/s^2*t
-10 m/s=-9.8 m/s^2 *t
t=10 m/s / -9.8 m/s^2
t=1.02 s

It is correct. You see, the maximum height was not needed. ehild

1.02 s is not an option for this multiple choice problem, the closest is 1.0 s. Is that likely the answer then?

Edit: The question asks how long it takes to reach maximum height, so because it is a parabola, it stands to reason that 1.02s/2=0.51s is how long it takes to reach the maximum height. Right?

The data in the problem are given with two significant digits. Round of your result to t=1.0 s. .

What is parabola?

When does a body projected straight upward reach maximum height? What is its velocity at the apex?
What is the maximum height?

What would be the velocity at t=0.5 s? Would the water drop move upward or downward then? Does it reach the maximum height at t=0.5 s?

ehild

I don't know. I remember someone in class saying that projectile motion was a parabola...

t=1.0 s means what? The time it takes for the motion to finish? or the time at which the water reaches its maximum height?

The motion is not parabola. A graph of a function can be parabola.

You applied the equation Vfy=Viy+Ay*t. What do the letters mean? You substituted Vfy=0. If you throw up a pebble, will it reach the ground with zero velocity? Where is the velocity zero?
Just throw up something and see...

ehild

kenji1992 said:
I don't know. I remember someone in class saying that projectile motion was a parabola...

The problem statement says "The nozzle is aimed straight up".

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the force of gravity, without being propelled by any external forces. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the time to maximum height calculated in projectile motion?

The time to maximum height in projectile motion is calculated using the equation t = u*sin(theta)/g, where t is the time, u is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the time to maximum height in projectile motion?

No, the mass of the object does not affect the time to maximum height in projectile motion. The only factors that affect this time are the initial velocity and the angle of projection.

4. What is the maximum height reached by an object in projectile motion?

The maximum height reached by an object in projectile motion is given by the equation h = (u^2*sin^2(theta))/2g, where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the time to maximum height in projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the time to maximum height in projectile motion by slowing down the object and reducing its maximum height. However, this effect is usually negligible for small objects and short distances.