1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Likelihood Estimator + Prior

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1.Suppose that X~B(1,∏). We sample n times and find n1 ones and n2=n-n1zeros
    a) What is ML estimator of ∏?
    b) What is the ML estimator of ∏ given 1/2≤∏≤1?
    c) What is the probability ∏ is greater than 1/2?
    d) Find the Bayesian estimator of ∏ under quadratic loss with this prior

2. The attempt at a solution
    a) [tex]L=\pi^n_1 *(1-\pi)^{n_2}[/tex]
    Do [tex]\frac{d(logL)}{d\pi} = \frac{n_1}{\pi} - \frac{n_2}{1-\pi}[/tex] → [tex]\pi_{ML} = \frac{n_1}{n}[/tex]
    b) not sure how to go about
    c) not sure
    d) I think I know how.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In (b) you are asked to maximize L (or log L) subject to 1/2 ≤ π ≤ 1. Your solution to )a)_ may, or may not work in this case. When does it work? When does it fail? If it fails, what then must be the solution?

RGV

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3
    What do you mean fail?
    Intuitively, [tex]\pi_{ML}=\frac{n_1}{n}[/tex] would "fail" in the case that it is [tex]\frac{n_1}{n} < 1/2[/tex]
    But, I'm not sure what our solution must be then if it fails.

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Fail" = does not succeed = is wrong = does not work. When that is the case, something must have happened; what was that? What does that tell you about the behaviour of L(π)? (Hint: draw a hypothetical graph.)

RGV

6. Nov 5, 2012 #5
    Well, based off the graph of [tex]\pi^{n_1}(1-\pi)^{n_2}[/tex] with several different n1 and n2 values plugged in that the best choice would be [tex]\pi=n1/n[/tex] when [tex]1/2≤n1/n≤1[/tex], else we choose [tex]\pi=1/2[/tex] since we usually look at the corner points (1/2 and 1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook