Maximum Power Output of a Turbine

In summary: IIn summary, in an adiabatic turbine, Argon gas expands from 3MPa and 750C to .2MPa at a rate of 5kg/s. Neglect KE and PE effects, and find the maximum power output.
thermohelp12
Hi,
I need with the following question.

Argon gas expands in an adiabatic turbine from 3MPa and 750 C to .2 MPa at a rate of 5 kg/s. Neglect KE and PE effects. Find maximum power output.

I know I need to first find the temperature of state two and then use that to solve for h2 (I have already solved for h1) then plug it into W=mass flow rate(h1-h2) to solve for the work and go from there but I am having a problem finding T2. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome thermohelp12,

I think you need to make the assumption that the turbine is isentropic.

P.S. There is a HW help section of the forums.

thermohelp12 said:
Hi,
I need with the following question.

Argon gas expands in an adiabatic turbine from 3MPa and 750 C to .2 MPa at a rate of 5 kg/s. Neglect KE and PE effects. Find maximum power output.

I know I need to first find the temperature of state two and then use that to solve for h2 (I have already solved for h1) then plug it into W=mass flow rate(h1-h2) to solve for the work and go from there but I am having a problem finding T2. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I think h2oski1326 was right you need to consider the isentropic process because according to your problem the gas expands in adiabatic process, that means you have a closed sytem, and if the system is closed there is no cahange in temperature. you can solved h2 using temperature from h1.

rodeliocueva said:
I think h2oski1326 was right you need to consider the isentropic process because according to your problem the gas expands in adiabatic process, that means you have a closed sytem, and if the system is closed there is no cahange in temperature. you can solved h2 using temperature from h1.

Turbines are open systems (i.e. control volumes).

A closed system does not necessarily mean that there is not a temperature change. An adiabatic system means that no heat is transferred across the system boundary. This is a common assumption (in homework problems) with turbines since they are normally well insulated.

BTW, this thread is 5 months old.

CS

1. What is the maximum power output of a turbine?

The maximum power output of a turbine refers to the maximum amount of energy that a turbine can produce in a given time period. It is typically measured in watts or kilowatts.

2. How is the maximum power output of a turbine determined?

The maximum power output of a turbine is determined by several factors, including the size and design of the turbine, the speed at which the blades are rotating, and the density of the fluid (such as air or water) that is driving the turbine. Engineers use mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the maximum power output of a turbine.

3. Can the maximum power output of a turbine be increased?

Yes, the maximum power output of a turbine can be increased by making improvements to the design, materials, and technology used in the turbine. For example, larger blades, more efficient aerodynamics, and advanced control systems can all contribute to an increase in the maximum power output of a turbine.

4. How does the maximum power output of a turbine affect its efficiency?

The maximum power output of a turbine is directly related to its efficiency. A higher maximum power output means that the turbine is able to convert more of the available energy into usable power, resulting in a more efficient operation.

5. Are there any limitations to the maximum power output of a turbine?

Yes, there are limitations to the maximum power output of a turbine. These include physical constraints such as the size and design of the turbine, as well as environmental factors like wind speed and water flow. Additionally, there are economic considerations that may limit the maximum power output, as increasing it may require significant investments in technology and infrastructure.