Maxwell's Equations and a circular capacitor

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of displacement current in a capacitor with circular parallel plates and the use of Gauss's law and Ampere's law to determine the electric field between the plates. The displacement current was found to be equal to the current in the wire and proportional to the time derivative of the electric field. The conversation also clarified the physical meaning of displacement current.
TheTourist

Homework Statement

The current I=I0exp(-t) is flowing into a capacitor with circular parallel plates of radius a. The electric field is uniform in space and parallel to the plates.

i) Calculate the displacement current ID through a circular loop with radius r>a from the axis of the system

ii) Calculate an expression for the electric field between the capacitor plates.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) As the plates are being charged up by the current I, the displacement current ID is increasing due to a growing electric field between the plates. I therefore reasoned that as the current I is decreasing with time, the displacement current is increasing with time by an equal amount so the answer would be ID=I0exp(t).
Though I don't know if this is correct.

ii) I used Gauss's law in integral form and a cylinder around the positive capacitor plate.
[itex]\int[/itex]E.dS=Q(t)/ε0

I performed the integration using the top surface of a cylinder, RdRd[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

and ended with the equation E(t)=Q(t)/(ε0πa2)[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
where a=R and I=dQ/dt

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true that the Electric field is increasing, but why would that imply an increase in the displacement current? Remember that the displacement current is proportional to the time derivative of the Electric field, so that "the electric field increasing" only implies that the displacement current is positive. Whether the displacement current is increasing or decreasing depends on the SECOND derivative of the electric field.

Use Ampere's law with a circle as the boundary and try two different surfaces bound by that circle, one which intersects with the wire and one which goes through the gap in the capacitor. The answer (the strength of the magnetic field) has to be the same from the two surfaces. What does that tell you about the displacement current?

I think I have been misunderstanding the physical meaning of the displacement current. You have helped me to think about it in the correct way, thank you Matterwave.
The displacement current should be equal to the current in the wire in this case, i.e. amperes law gives the same result inside the capacitor as the wire, even though there is no charge flow in the capacitor.

Yep. =D

I would like to commend the approach taken in this response. It is clear that the student has a good understanding of Maxwell's equations and their applications. However, there are a few points that I would like to clarify and expand upon.

Firstly, in part (i), the student correctly recognizes that the displacement current ID is increasing with time as the plates are being charged up. However, the expression given for ID, ID=I0exp(t), is not entirely correct. The displacement current is not simply equal to the current I, but rather it is equal to the rate of change of the electric flux through the surface. In this case, the electric flux is changing due to the increasing electric field between the plates, so the correct expression for ID would be ID=ε0πa2dE/dt.

Secondly, in part (ii), the student correctly uses Gauss's law to calculate the electric field between the plates. However, the expression given for E(t), E(t)=Q(t)/(ε0πa2), is missing a key factor. The electric field between the plates is actually given by E(t)=Q(t)/(ε0A), where A is the area of the plates. In this case, since the plates are circular, the area would be given by A=πa2. This would result in the correct expression for the electric field between the plates as E(t)=Q(t)/(ε0πa2).

Overall, the student has demonstrated a strong understanding of Maxwell's equations and their applications to the given scenario. To improve the response, I would suggest clarifying the expressions for the displacement current and the electric field, as well as providing more detail on the steps taken to arrive at the solutions. Additionally, it may be helpful to discuss the physical significance of the results obtained and how they relate to the given scenario.

What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. They describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and their sources, such as charges and currents.

What is a circular capacitor?

A circular capacitor is a device used to store electric charge. It consists of two parallel circular plates separated by a small distance, usually filled with a dielectric material. The plates act as conductors, and the space between them is the dielectric material.

What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations in relation to a circular capacitor?

Maxwell's Equations are significant in understanding the behavior of a circular capacitor. They describe how the electric field and magnetic field are related to the charge and current on the plates of the capacitor. These equations allow us to calculate the capacitance and other properties of the capacitor.

What are the four main equations in Maxwell's Equations?

The four main equations in Maxwell's Equations are Gauss's Law, Gauss's Law for Magnetism, Faraday's Law, and Ampere's Law. These equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they are affected by charges and currents.

How are Maxwell's Equations used in practical applications involving circular capacitors?

Maxwell's Equations are used in various practical applications involving circular capacitors, such as in electronic circuits, power systems, and communication systems. They are essential for understanding and designing these systems, as they provide a mathematical framework for analyzing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in the presence of a circular capacitor.