Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space

Just be careful with indices when you're working with tensors. Good job!In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gaussian units and the definition of the magnetic field vector Hk as a second rank antisymmetric tensor, Fij. The conversation also includes a proof for Fij and its relation to the curl of the vector potential, as well as the extension of the tensor to a 4x4 matrix. The key concept is understanding the relationship between the components of Fij and the partial derivatives of the vector potential.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

We are using Gaussian units. To begin, the vector Hk is the magnetic field, which relates to a second rank antisymmetric tensor, Fij.
a.) Prove
[tex] F_{ij} = \frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial x_{ i }} - \frac{\partial A_{ i }}{\partial x_{j}} = \partial_{ i } A_{j} - \partial_{j} A_{ i } [/tex]

where [itex] \nabla \times \vec{A} = \vec{H}[/itex]​
I'm only posting this first part because I feel like once I get it everything will roll out and I'll be able to answer it all.

Homework Equations

In the last problem, we proved that [itex] H_{k} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{ijk} F_{ij} \iff F_{ij} = \epsilon_{ijk} H_{k} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The last problem says that the tensor Fij can be written as the following matrix:
[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & H_{z} & -H_{y} \\
-H_{z} & 0 & H_{x} \\
H_y & -H_x & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex] and the hint says that
[tex] (curl \, \vec{A})_{i} = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} A_{k} = H_{i} [/tex] So, [itex] F_{12} = \partial_{1} A_2 - \partial_2 A_1 [/itex]. Do I just et the partials from the definition of the curl of A being H?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are several problems with what you've written. First of all, in 4D space-time, the matrix representing Fij is a 4x4 antisymmetric matrix, not 3x3 as you've written it. It contains both the electric field and magnetic field. Secondly, even what you have written for the space part of Fij is wrong, since it should contain Hx, Hy, and Hz. Normally in 4D space-time, time is x0, and the space components are x1,2,3.
So F12 = ∂1 A2 - ∂2 A1 = ∂x Ay - ∂y Ax = Hz. Try working through it again.

phyzguy said:
There are several problems with what you've written. First of all, in 4D space-time, the matrix representing Fij is a 4x4 antisymmetric matrix, not 3x3 as you've written it. It contains both the electric field and magnetic field. Secondly, even what you have written for the space part of Fij is wrong, since it should contain Hx, Hy, and Hz. Normally in 4D space-time, time is x0, and the space components are x1,2,3.
So F12 = ∂1 A2 - ∂2 A1 = ∂x Ay - ∂y Ax = Hz. Try working through it again.
This is the first part of my problem, I should have been more clear, sorry. Later on in the problem it extends the tensor to a 4x4, antisymmetric tensor, but I have trouble proving the first part. I only posted the first part because I felt like I could get the rest if I could get the first part. I mistyped as it was early in the morning, I'll fix my first post, the matrix is:
[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & H_{z} & -H_{y} \\
-H_{z} & 0 & H_{x} \\
H_y & -H_x & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

What I noticed, is that [itex] (\nabla \times \vec{A})_{ i } = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} A_{k} = H_{i} \rightarrow (\nabla \times \vec{A})_{ 1 } = \partial_{2} A_{3} - \partial_{3} A_{2} = H_{1} [/itex], can I use this in my tensor?

Yes, this looks correct now.

1. What are Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space?

Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space refer to a set of four vector equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in four-dimensional spacetime. These equations were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and have since been fundamental in understanding the nature of electromagnetism.

2. How are Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space different from the traditional 3-D equations?

The main difference between Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space and the traditional 3-D equations is the incorporation of time as the fourth dimension. This allows for a more complete description of electromagnetic phenomena, particularly in relation to the speed of light and the effects of relativity.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space?

Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space have been crucial in our understanding of electromagnetism and have led to many technological advancements, such as the development of radio, television, and wireless communication. They also played a key role in the development of Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. Can Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space be applied to all electromagnetic phenomena?

Yes, Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space can be applied to all electromagnetic phenomena. They have been extensively tested and have been found to accurately describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a wide range of scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space?

While Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space provide a comprehensive understanding of electromagnetic phenomena, they do have limitations. These equations do not take into account quantum effects and cannot be applied to systems at the atomic or subatomic level. Additionally, they do not fully explain the behavior of light in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or in the early universe.