Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H

In summary: I'm still confusedIn summary, Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism in differential form in matter, for a linear material, using the vectors D and H are: - div D = ro (Gauss' law)- div H*mu*mu0 = 0 (Gauss' law in magnetism)- curl (D/(epsilon*epsilon0)) = -dB/dt (partial derivative) (Faraday's law)- curl H = j(subscript f) + dD/dt (partial derivative) (Ampere-Maxwell law)The symbols epsilonR and muR represent the relative permittivity and permeability of the material, respectively. They are ratios of the permittivity and
blueyellow

Homework Statement

Write Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism in differential form:

in matter, for a linear material, using the vectors D and H

The Attempt at a Solution

div D= ro (Gauss' law)
div H*mu*mu0=0 gauss' law in magnetism
curl (D/(epsilon*epsilon0))=-dB/dt(partial derivative) faraday's law
curl H=j(subscript f)+dD/dt (partial derivative) ampere-maxwell law

I wanted to check whether they were correct

Physics news on Phys.org
blueyellow said:

Homework Statement

Write Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism in differential form:

in matter, for a linear material, using the vectors D and H

The Attempt at a Solution

div D= ro (Gauss' law)
div H*mu*mu0=0 gauss' law in magnetism
curl (D/(epsilon*epsilon0))=-dB/dt(partial derivative) faraday's law
curl H=j(subscript f)+dD/dt (partial derivative) ampere-maxwell law

I wanted to check whether they were correct

That looks pretty close. You can check your answer here at hyperphysics:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq.html

BTW, if you want to write "epsilon*epsilon0", you should write "epsilonR*epsilon0", because epsilon = epsilonR*epsilon0. Or in LaTeX:

[tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_R * \epsilon_0[/tex]

sorry, I just realized I don't know what epsilon r and mu r actually are. epsilon 0 and mu0 are the permittivity and permeability in free space aren't they? but what does the r stand for? I have tried looking this up

1. What are Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H?

Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. These equations were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are a cornerstone of classical electromagnetism.

2. What is the difference between vectors D and H in Maxwell's equations?

Vectors D and H represent the electric displacement and magnetic field, respectively. D is related to the electric field by a material-specific constant, while H represents the magnetic field generated by electric currents.

3. How do Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H relate to Gauss's law and Ampere's law?

Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H are derived from Gauss's law and Ampere's law. They combine these two fundamental laws of electromagnetism to describe both electric and magnetic fields in a more comprehensive way.

4. Can Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H be used to predict the behavior of light?

Yes, Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H can be used to predict the behavior of light. In fact, Maxwell's equations were the first to show that light is an electromagnetic wave.

5. Are there any practical applications of Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H?

Yes, Maxwell's equations using vectors D and H have countless practical applications. They are used in the design and operation of electronic devices, communication systems, and many other technologies that rely on electric and magnetic fields.