May I legally obtain a student license of Maple if I’m auditing class?

In summary, Maple offers a student license for students currently enrolled at an academic institution in any math, science, or engineering course. This license is not available for commercial, instruction, teaching, or research purposes. For graduate/post-graduate students involved in academic research, the Maple Graduate Student Research License is recommended. Auditing a course at a junior college is similar to enrolling for credit, but without receiving a grade. There is a fee to audit, but it is cheaper than taking the course for a letter grade. The student license may require enrollment in a STEM course, and it is recommended to contact customer support for more information.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
May I legally obtain a student license of Maple if I’m merely auditing a class? Need it be a STEM course? I tried google and Waterloo did not spell out the case of auditing.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "auditing" a class? You are currently enrolled at university and are taking the class by only taking the exams? I would guess the student license of that technical software would require that it be STEM classes, but you may need to call their customer support folks to ask...

https://www.maplesoft.com/contact/

Likes benorin
From: https://webstore.maplesoft.com/product.aspx?id=1068
Maple is ideal for students enrolled in any math, science or engineering course.
Maple 2022 Student Edition is available to students currently enrolled at an academic institution. License must be installed on student owned computers. Commercial, instruction, teaching and research purposes are not permitted. Students in a graduate/post-graduate program whose work involves academic research should purchase the Maple Graduate Student Research License instead.
Student eligibility may be verified by Maplesoft. Customers not in compliance will be responsible for the full commercial price of the product.

Likes SolarisOne and benorin
Ty. Essentially auditing a course at my jr college is similar to enrolling in it for credit only you do *not* receive a grade for it and you can only audit lecture courses. There’s a fee per unit to audit but it’s cheaper than taking the course for a letter grade. I’ve already taken this course for a letter grade. Aced it!

1. Can I legally obtain a student license of Maple if I am auditing a class?

Yes, as long as you are enrolled in the class and have a valid student ID, you are eligible to obtain a student license of Maple.

2. How do I obtain a student license of Maple?

You can obtain a student license of Maple by going to the Maple website and following the instructions for students. You will need to provide proof of enrollment and a valid student ID.

3. Is there a cost for a student license of Maple?

Yes, there is a cost for a student license of Maple. However, it is significantly discounted compared to the regular price for non-students.

4. How long does a student license of Maple last?

A student license of Maple typically lasts for one year from the date of purchase. However, some schools may have different agreements with Maple that may extend the license for a longer period of time.

5. Can I use a student license of Maple for commercial purposes?

No, a student license of Maple is intended for academic use only. Using it for commercial purposes would be a violation of the license agreement.