1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean elongation of spring with temperature

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I have to determine the mean elongation of a spring with temperature. The spring constant is alpha and the gravitational acceleration is g. I have the following expression for the force

[tex]F = -\alpha*x +m*g[/tex]

which I can integrate for an expression of the energy

[tex]E = \frac{-\alpha*x^2}{2}+m*g*x[/tex]

I can factorize this into

[tex]E = (x-\frac{m*g}{\alpha})^2[/tex]

than I would like to put it into the Boltzman distribution getting the partition function and from that determine the mean elongation

[tex]Z = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-E*\beta)[/tex]

but this gives me infinity - any help or advice appreciated thanks in advance,

Best
    J

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think so. If you expand that expression, you get something different than
    [tex]E = \frac{-\alpha*x^2}{2}+m*g*x[/tex]
    which you had before.

Also, the potential energy of the spring should be +½αx2

Also, are you defining a positive displacement as upward or downward?

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    hi,

I am defining the displacement from -infinity to +infinity where the Boltzmann weights should be very small for none probable elongations.

The potential energy is

E = alpha*x^2/2 + m*g*x

I need some hints on how to factorize the energy. Thanks in advance

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I see where you need to go with this.

Are you familiar with "completing the square" for quadratic expressions? That would be a good way to manipulate your energy expression, and get the integral in terms of something you can evaluate.

BTW, is your integral expression missing a "dx" term?

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5
    Hi again,

I write the potential energy as (x-m*g/alpha)^2 and then substract the constant which is just a constant so it is not so important - I guess? - then I write it as a Boltzmann

[tex]mean(x) = \frac{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x*exp(-\beta*(x-m*g/alpha)^2}{ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-\beta*(x-m*g/alpha)^2)} [/tex]

which due to the symmetry gives zeros - does this seem reasonable and any hints how to proceed to find the variance?

Any hints appreciated thanks in advance

Best
    J

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, you're right, the constant is not important and would cancel out later anyway.
    That being said, how would you feel about

(alpha/2) (x + m g / alpha)2

for the potential energy? If you're in doubt, try expanding that expression, also expand what you had, and compare them with

alpha x2/2 + mgx​

Actually, the integral in the numerator is not zero.

I'd look at the definition of variance, and evaluate the integrals involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?