Mean elongation of spring with temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the mean elongation of a spring with temperature using an expression for the force and integrating it to get an expression for the energy. The energy can be factored and put into the Boltzmann distribution to get the partition function and determine the mean elongation. The conversation also mentions completing the square for quadratic expressions and evaluating integrals to find the variance.
jorgen
Hi all,

I have to determine the mean elongation of a spring with temperature. The spring constant is alpha and the gravitational acceleration is g. I have the following expression for the force

[tex]F = -\alpha*x +m*g[/tex]

which I can integrate for an expression of the energy

[tex]E = \frac{-\alpha*x^2}{2}+m*g*x[/tex]

I can factorize this into

[tex]E = (x-\frac{m*g}{\alpha})^2[/tex]

than I would like to put it into the Boltzman distribution getting the partition function and from that determine the mean elongation

[tex]Z = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-E*\beta)[/tex]

but this gives me infinity - any help or advice appreciated thanks in advance,

Best
J

Physics news on Phys.org
jorgen said:
Hi all,

I have to determine the mean elongation of a spring with temperature. The spring constant is alpha and the gravitational acceleration is g. I have the following expression for the force

[tex]F = -\alpha*x +m*g[/tex]

which I can integrate for an expression of the energy

I can factorize this into

[tex]E = (x-\frac{m*g}{\alpha})^2[/tex]
I don't think so. If you expand that expression, you get something different than
which you had before.

Also, the potential energy of the spring should be +½αx2

Also, are you defining a positive displacement as upward or downward?

than I would like to put it into the Boltzman distribution getting the partition function and from that determine the mean elongation

[tex]Z = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-E*\beta)[/tex]

but this gives me infinity - any help or advice appreciated thanks in advance,

Best
J

hi,

I am defining the displacement from -infinity to +infinity where the Boltzmann weights should be very small for none probable elongations.

The potential energy is

E = alpha*x^2/2 + m*g*x

I need some hints on how to factorize the energy. Thanks in advance

I think I see where you need to go with this.

Are you familiar with "completing the square" for quadratic expressions? That would be a good way to manipulate your energy expression, and get the integral in terms of something you can evaluate.

BTW, is your integral expression missing a "dx" term?

Hi again,

I write the potential energy as (x-m*g/alpha)^2 and then substract the constant which is just a constant so it is not so important - I guess? - then I write it as a Boltzmann

[tex]mean(x) = \frac{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x*exp(-\beta*(x-m*g/alpha)^2}{ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-\beta*(x-m*g/alpha)^2)} [/tex]

which due to the symmetry gives zeros - does this seem reasonable and any hints how to proceed to find the variance?

Any hints appreciated thanks in advance

Best
J

jorgen said:
Hi again,

I write the potential energy as (x-m*g/alpha)^2 and then substract the constant which is just a constant so it is not so important - I guess?
Ah, you're right, the constant is not important and would cancel out later anyway.
That being said, how would you feel about

(alpha/2) (x + m g / alpha)2

for the potential energy? If you're in doubt, try expanding that expression, also expand what you had, and compare them with

alpha x2/2 + mgx​

... - then I write it as a Boltzmann

[tex]mean(x) = \frac{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x*exp(-\beta*(x-m*g/alpha)^2}{ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-\beta*(x-m*g/alpha)^2)} [/tex]

which due to the symmetry gives zeros - does this seem reasonable
Actually, the integral in the numerator is not zero.

and any hints how to proceed to find the variance?

I'd look at the definition of variance, and evaluate the integrals involved.

1. What is the mean elongation of a spring with temperature?

The mean elongation of a spring with temperature refers to the average change in length of a spring as it is exposed to different temperatures. It is a measure of how much the spring stretches or contracts as the temperature changes.

2. How does temperature affect the elongation of a spring?

Temperature affects the elongation of a spring because as the temperature increases, the particles of the spring's material gain energy and vibrate more, causing the spring to expand. Similarly, as the temperature decreases, the particles lose energy and vibrate less, causing the spring to contract.

3. Is the mean elongation of a spring with temperature consistent?

The mean elongation of a spring with temperature is not consistent because it depends on the material and construction of the spring. Different materials have varying thermal expansion coefficients, meaning they expand or contract at different rates with temperature changes. Additionally, factors like tension and compression can also affect the mean elongation of a spring with temperature.

4. What is the formula for calculating the mean elongation of a spring with temperature?

The formula for calculating the mean elongation of a spring with temperature is ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length of the spring, α is the thermal expansion coefficient of the material, L is the original length of the spring, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. How is the mean elongation of a spring with temperature used in practical applications?

The mean elongation of a spring with temperature is used in various practical applications, such as in thermometers and bi-metallic strips. It is also important in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the amount of thermal expansion or contraction that a spring will experience in different temperature conditions. This information is crucial in designing and building structures that can withstand temperature changes without breaking or becoming distorted.