Mean value theorem & Cauchy sequence

In summary, the given sequence is defined recursively as a0=0 and an+1=cos(an) for n≥0. By using induction, it can be shown that a2n≤a2n+2≤a2n+3≤a2n+1 for all n≥0 and that all terms of the sequence are bounded between 0 and 1. Using the mean value theorem, it can be proven that |an+2-an+1| ≤ 0.85|an+1-an| for all n≥0. This, along with the fact that the sequence is bounded, implies that the sequence is Cauchy.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Let a0=0 and an+1=cos(an) for n≥0.
a) prove that a2n≤a2n+2≤a2n+3≤a2n+1 for all n≥0.
b) use mean value theorem to find a number r<1 such that |an+2-an+1| ≤ r|an-an+1| for all n≥0. Using this, prove that the sequence {an} is Cauchy.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I proved part (a) using induction. Furthermore, I showed that all terms of the sequence is bounded between 0 and 1.

b) Claim: |an+2-an+1| ≤ 0.85|an+1-an|

Assuming the claim is true, I have that
|am-an|=|am-am-1|+...+|an+1-an|≤0.85m-1|a1-a0|+...+0.85n|a1-a0|≤0.85n/(1-0.85) ->0 as n->∞. Thus, by squeeze theorem, the sequence is Cauchy.

But I am not sure how to prove the claim. If I consider a special case an+1≥an (which is clearly not true in our case), i.e. assuming the sequence is nondecreasing, then by mean value theorem, an+2-an+1=-sin(c)(an+1-an) where c must be somewhere between 0 and 1, so |sin(c)|<0.85, and the claim is proved in this special case. But the trouble is that our sequence is actually not even monotone (as shown in part a), so how can we prove the claim in our case?

Any help is much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If I rewrite [tex]|a_{n+2} - a_{n+1}| \leq r|a_{n+1} - a_n|[/tex] as [tex]\left| \frac{\cos a_{n+1} - \cos a_n}{a_{n+1} - a_n}\right| \leq r[/tex] what does that remind you of?

ystael said:
If I rewrite [tex]|a_{n+2} - a_{n+1}| \leq r|a_{n+1} - a_n|[/tex] as [tex]\left| \frac{\cos a_{n+1} - \cos a_n}{a_{n+1} - a_n}\right| \leq r[/tex] what does that remind you of?
?

Mean value theorem: if f is differentiable in (a,b) and continuous on [a,b], then there exists c E (a,b) s.t. f(b)-f(a)=c(b-a)
The problem is in the theorem, b must be greater than a. So I have to assume an+1≥an in order to say that an+2-an+1=-sin(c)(an+1-an) where c must be somewhere between 0 and 1, and |sin(c)|<0.85. How can I remove the assumption an+1≥an, and arrive at the same conclusion?

I am not sure how to prove in our case that |an+2-an+1| ≤ 0.85|an+1-an|, which is needed in the proof.

Does anybody have any idea?

Last edited:
There are places you can slap absolute value signs in the statement of the mean value theorem to remove that little problem :)

ystael said:
There are places you can slap absolute value signs in the statement of the mean value theorem to remove that little problem :)

I think the claim can be proved if we assume either one of the following:
(i) an+1≥an for all n, i.e. {an} nondecreasing
or (ii) an+1≤an for all n, i.e. {an} nonincreasing

But here in our case{a_n} is not even monotone. a0=0, a1=1, a2=0.54, a3=0.86,...
So it belongs to neither case (i) nor case (ii). How should I prove the claim?

Could somebody help, please?
thanks!

Look again. You will find that you can apply the mean value theorem separately to each case arising from each index [tex]n[/tex]; therefore the direction of the inequality [tex]a_{n+1} \leq a_n[/tex] or [tex]a_{n+1} \geq a_n[/tex] doesn't have to be the same for all [tex]n[/tex].

OK, you're right! I got it now :)
Actually I got confused before about the "for ALL n" part in "a(n+1)>a(n) for ALL n" . I thought we need montone sequences, but acutally we don't.

Given any two consecutive terms a(n) and a(n+1), either a(n)<=a(n_1) or a(n)>a(n+1), and in either case the MVT gives the result. Done.

"What is the maximum of |sin(c)| in [0,1]?"

Actually I used my calculator to get the bound 0.85. Is it possible to answer this question without using a calculator?? I don't think there is any way to tell what sin(1) is equal to...

You don't need a precise value, only a proven bound less than 1. Try estimating it using the power series.

I have a question about the end when we're trying to prove that the sequence is Cauchy.

Case 1: If m≥n, then
|am-an|≤|am-am-1|+...+|an+1-an|
≤0.85m-1|a1-a0|+...+0.85n|a1-a0|
≤0.85n/(1-0.85) ->0 as n->∞ (and m->∞).
Thus, by squeeze theorem, |am-an|->0 as n,m->∞
(here we are assuming that as n,m->infinity, it is in a manner such that m is always greater than or equal to n)

Case 2: If m<n, then similarly, we can show that |am-an|->0 as n,m->∞.
(here we are assuming that as n,m->infinity, it is in a manner such that m is always less than n)

Is this enough to show that the sequence is Cauchy?
If so, why? What if n,m->∞ while n and m keep on crossing over each other? (i.e. n,m->∞, but sometimes m≥n and sometimes m<n. How can we handle this case?)
I don't understand why proving only case 1 and case 2 would be enough to show that the sequence is Cauchy.

Can someone explain this, please?
Thank you!

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the open interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the closed interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove other important theorems and to solve certain types of problems in calculus, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function on a given interval. It is also used in the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This means that for any given positive real number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance of each other.

4. How is the concept of Cauchy sequence related to the completeness axiom?

The completeness axiom states that every Cauchy sequence of real numbers converges to a real number. This means that if a sequence satisfies the Cauchy criterion, then it must have a limit. The completeness axiom is an important property that distinguishes the real numbers from other number systems, such as the rational numbers.

5. What is the importance of Cauchy sequences in mathematical analysis?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematical analysis because they allow us to define and study the concept of convergence in greater detail. They also play a key role in the definition of completeness, which is essential for the development of many important theorems in analysis. Furthermore, Cauchy sequences are used in the construction of the real numbers and their properties.