Mean value theorem for trigonometric function

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem for the function f(x)= sinx - sin2x in the interval [0, π]. The attempt at a solution involves solving for the value of c using the quadratic equation, but the value inside the arccosine contains √(33). The conversation also addresses the contradiction between the two values obtained for c and the role of the arccos function in determining the validity of the MVT. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the graph of the function and the points where the curves intersect, indicating the existence of two values of c for f'(c) = 0.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

Verify Lagrange's MVT for
## f(x)= sinx - sin2x ## in [ 0, π ]

Homework Equations

## f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Got on solving cosx= 2cos2x
How to find c lies in [0, π ]?
Solved it using quadratic equation but it gives a complicated value inside arccos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
On using that formula you get dy/dx at c = 0
dy/dx = cosx-2cos2x now to verify MVT,dy/dx has to be equal to the value obtained from your equation for atleast one c within 0 to pi.
putting cosx=2cos2x, you are indirectly finding the values of that c. If cosx can never be equal to 2cos2x in the given interval, then mvt is invalid here. Else MVT is valid.

Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

Verify Lagrange's MVT for
## f(x)= sinx - sin2x ## in [ 0, π ]

Homework Equations

## f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Got on solving cosx= 2cos2x
How to find c lies in [0, π ]?
Solved it using quadratic equation but it gives a complicated value inside arccos.
Yes, the value inside the arccosine contains √(33) .

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS said:
Yes, the value inside the arccosine contains √(33) .
No it contains (1± √(33))/8.
How to determine that it's in interval [0, π] ?

Raghav Gupta said:
No it contains (1± √(33))/8.
How to determine that it's in interval [0, π] ?
Well that does contain √(33) .

arccos( y0) always gives a value in the interval [0, π] , provided that y0 is in the interval [-1, 1], the domain of the arccos function.

Likes Raghav Gupta
SammyS said:
Well that does contain √(33) .
But
Cosx=2cos2x
=> cosx= 2( 2cos2x - 1)
=> cosx = 4cos2x - 2
=> cosx = (-1 ± √(33))/8
So there is a contradiction with your statement?

Raghav Gupta said:
But
Cosx=2cos2x
=> cosx= 2( 2cos2x - 1)
=> cosx = 4cos2x - 2
=> cosx = (-1 ± √(33))/8
So there is a contradiction with your statement?
I see √(33) right there in (-1 ± √(33))/8 .

I just said it contains it.

SammyS said:
I see √(33) right there in (-1 ± √(33))/8 .

I just said it contains it.
Sorry__ Sorry. I thought you meant that x= arccos(√(33)).
My mistake.
Thanks the major contribution from your side was telling me domain for arccos and range.

Last edited:
Raghav Gupta said:
Sorry__ Sorry. I thought you meant that x= arccos(√(33)).
My mistake.
But here we are getting 2 values which are in domain of arccos and hence in the interval.
But shouldn't that be one value only.

Have you tried plotting the two functions over ##[0, \pi]##?

Ray Vickson said:
Have you tried plotting the two functions over ##[0, \pi]##?
See the plot
What does that mean?

Raghav Gupta said:
See the plot
What does that mean?

Draw the graphs of ##y =2 \cos(2x)## and ##y = \cos(x)## for ##x \in [0,\pi]##, or perhaps the single graph of ## y = 2 \cos(2x) - \cos(x)##.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Draw the graphs of ##y =2 \cos(2x)## and ##y = \cos(x)## for ##x \in [0,\pi]##, or perhaps the single graph of ## y = 2 \cos(2x) - \cos(x)##.
Here it is newplot.
Then what?

Raghav Gupta said:
Here it is newplot.
Then what?

Then look at it and think about what it is telling you.

Raghav Gupta said:
Here it is newplot.
Then what?
you use wolftam's graph calculator? Draw it yourself on a paper. Dont depend on graph calculators.
see where the curves intesect. Those are the points where f'(c) is zero.

But wolfram graph calculator gives correct results. I was using that here because it gives correct sketch and by hand we would get a rough sketch as drawing graphs of complicated functions could be difficult like
sinx-sin2x.
Ray Vickson said:
Then look at it and think about what it is telling you.
I think drawing only the graph of sinx-sin2x was okay?
By seeing it the average slope is 0.
Now according to MVT there is or are points on the function in given interval where the slopes of it equal average slope. Seeing the graph we see two points ( one is local minima and other is local maxima).

By the way thanks Aditya, I saw 2 points where curves intersect and that means we get two values of c for f'(c) =0 .
Also thank you Mr. Ray as I see two points where the curve cosx- 2cos2x cuts the x-axis meaning we get two values of c for f'(c)=0.

1. What is the mean value theorem for trigonometric functions?

The mean value theorem for trigonometric functions states that for any continuous function f(x) on an interval [a,b], there exists at least one point c between a and b where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is the mean value theorem for trigonometric functions used?

The mean value theorem for trigonometric functions is used to prove the existence of a specific value in a given interval. It is also used in calculus to prove the derivative of trigonometric functions.

3. Can the mean value theorem be applied to all trigonometric functions?

Yes, the mean value theorem can be applied to all trigonometric functions as long as they are continuous on the given interval.

4. What is the significance of the mean value theorem for trigonometric functions?

The mean value theorem is significant because it allows us to find specific values of trigonometric functions that may be difficult to determine otherwise. It also plays a crucial role in the development of calculus and is used in many real-world applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the mean value theorem for trigonometric functions?

Yes, the mean value theorem for trigonometric functions only applies to continuous functions. It also requires the function to be differentiable on the given interval. If these conditions are not met, the mean value theorem cannot be applied.