Measure the diameter of a marble with a micrometer

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
Jadaav
Messages
175
Reaction score
1
I got to measure the diameter of a marble with a micrometer. Whatever the diameter and the radius be, it doesn't matter here and calculate the volume of the marble
I was told to use the formula " V = Square root of (4/3 * 22.7 * rcube)".

Then the last question was asked:

"Give 1 practical detail that you did to get a more accurate result."

What does 1 practical detail means here ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Well your equation for the volume of a sphere is wrong.

Volume = ( 4/3 * Pi * r3 )

Well you could use a digital micrometer with a more accurate display.
You could use the value of Pi to more decimal places.

However, the most important one would be to take multiple readings for the diameter at different points of the marbles and then take an average of these readings to get the average diameter of the sphere. Then using this average value you can get a better approximation of the volume.
 


Well, thanks a lot.

I used the formula that you mentioned, I just couldn't write it on my first post.

"However, the most important one would be to take multiple readings for the diameter at different points of the marbles and then take an average of these readings to get the average diameter of the sphere. Then using this average value you can get a better approximation of the volume."

That's what I did, just wanted to confirm it.
 


I don't know if you did it this way, but it would have been good to measure the diameter along different directions across the marble. (As opposed to repeating the measurement always using the same two points.)

This figure sort of shows what I am talking about:

circle_diameter.gif
 


Redbelly98 said:
I don't know if you did it this way, but it would have been good to measure the diameter along different directions across the marble. (As opposed to repeating the measurement always using the same two points.)

Yeah, I think that's how he did it. That's what I was aiming for anyway.
 


Redbelly98 said:
I don't know if you did it this way, but it would have been good to measure the diameter along different directions across the marble. (As opposed to repeating the measurement always using the same two points.)

This figure sort of shows what I am talking about:

circle_diameter.gif

That's what I did and thanks.