Measurement of Hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency

In summary: Fraunhofer lines.In summary, the hydrogen spectrum has been measured in exquisite detail. The line you are referring to is called the Lyman-γ line. If you search on "Lyman series", you will find the wavelength.
Has this been accurately measured yet? Google searches yield results for H 1s-2s and H 1s-3s transitions but not 1s-4s.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hydrogen spectrum has been measured in exquisite detail. The line you are referring to is called the Lyman-γ line. If you search on "Lyman series", you will find the wavelength.

Ok thanks - I tried. Don't find much at all. I am looking for measurement in the same order of accuracy as the 1s-2s and 1s-3s transition frequencies have been measured.

3d6058ee20275dbc178a73f32e855d6c.png

b4ed825da80e89b4e3f3c1433606dcb1.png

http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/ASD/lines1.pl at NIST I think has the accuracy you are looking for (12 significant figures). When you are talking this level of accuracy, you need to specify which of the transitions you are talking about, taking into account the fine structure, hyperfine structure, etc. This site, also at NIST, gives the energy levels to about the same level of accuracy (12-13 figures).

Edit: I see the links don't work the way I've done them. Try going here, I entered H I for the spectrum, and 97.2 and 97.3 for the upper and lower wavelengths. Then at the bottom you can click on "Levels" and again put in H I to get the energy levels.

Thanks again - I think I tried that but the problem is the 12 sf figures seem to be calculated ones. I am interested in accurately observed data. It somehow doesn't make sense to calculate something to 12 sf when your measured is only accurate to about 7 sf ?? For example in the 1s-3s transition, the NIST site gives a measured wavelength of 102.5728 nm and that seems to be for 1s-3p rather than 1s-3s. I think they might need to update their observed data in light of more recent measurements such as those I mentioned in the previous post - you can easily convert to wavelength from v = fλ with v=c. When you do this you see the calculated numbers (Ritz wavelengths) are pretty good tracking the measured wavelength down to about 9 sf. Wonder what the formula for that is ?? I have a formula which tracks down to about 7sf on the 1s-2s and 1s-3s transitions.

Sounds like you know more than I do about it. However, the NIST Energy level page explicitly says " Most of the given level values are essentially experimental ones." It also gives a link to the paper by Kramida, which seems to have a wealth of information, but more than I want to delve into:

"A critical compilation of experimental data on spectral lines and energy levels of hydrogen, deuterium, and tritium",

Likes neilparker62
Thanks all the same for the NIST references - they certainly provide very thorough coverage of the various transition wavelengths in the Hydrogen spectrum.

From what I can understand, the Ritz wavelengths seem to be 'quasi calculated' so not really experimental. I think science become a bit hazy when we can't really distinguish between theoretical and measured data - the whole idea is to put up theories which are ultimately judged by the degree to which they concur with actual measurement. To date the only really accurate measured values I can find are those for the H 1s-2s and H 1s-3s transition frequencies. For interest here are references for these measurements:

Improved Measurement of the Hydrogen 1S–2S Transition Frequency

Optical frequency measurement of the 1S-3S two-photon transition in hydrogen

neilparker62 said:
Thanks all the same for the NIST references - they certainly provide very thorough coverage of the various transition wavelengths in the Hydrogen spectrum.

From what I can understand, the Ritz wavelengths seem to be 'quasi calculated' so not really experimental. I think science become a bit hazy when we can't really distinguish between theoretical and measured data - the whole idea is to put up theories which are ultimately judged by the degree to which they concur with actual measurement. To date the only really accurate measured values I can find are those for the H 1s-2s and H 1s-3s transition frequencies. For interest here are references for these measurements:

Improved Measurement of the Hydrogen 1S–2S Transition Frequency

Optical frequency measurement of the 1S-3S two-photon transition in hydrogen
1s-ns are going to be two photon transitions. There might not be much reason to do the1s-4s measurement directly, though, because you can do separate experiments to measure say 1s-2p (one photon) and measure 2p-4s (one photon). The precise measurement of the 2s-2p energy difference (Lamb shift) is something you can read about. QED is needed to explain the shift.

Likes neilparker62
Thanks - I think I read somewhere that accurate determination of 1s-2s, 1s-3s, 1s-4s etc transition energies/frequencies was needed to resolve the proton radius anomaly

Some more data I am looking for if anyone can help: accurate values of wavelengths for Fraunhofer lines stretching into the UV region for the H I Lymann series. I found this reference:

http://www.coseti.org/9006-025.htm

but it only seems to cover lines in the visible spectrum.

Just by way of history, there were a lot of rocket missions in the late 50s, early 60s to photograph the solar spectrum in the UV region. Various Lymnan series lines are clear in these photos. Of particular note is the Lyman alpha line which shows up as a bright emission band with a very sharp absorption dip right in the centre (I hope I interepreted the plates I saw correctly). It seems surprising that interest in this region of the solar spectrum seems to have subsequently waned - one would of thought that with today's technology , much higher resolution photos of the spectrum would be available and it should also be possible to measure the important wavelengths to a great degree of precision. In particular the Lymann Alpha absorption dip. Or am I just missing something in my Google searches ??

Reference for the 50s/60s missions here.

1. What is the significance of measuring the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency?

The hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency is an important value in understanding the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. It can provide insights into the structure and behavior of atoms, as well as aiding in the development of new technologies such as atomic clocks and precision measurements.

2. How is the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency measured?

The measurement of the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency involves using a spectroscopic technique known as laser-induced fluorescence. This involves exciting the hydrogen atoms with a laser, causing them to emit light at specific frequencies that can be measured and analyzed.

3. What is the accuracy of the measurement of the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency?

The current accuracy of the measurement of the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency is about 12 parts per trillion, making it one of the most precise measurements in physics. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are constantly improving the accuracy of this measurement.

4. Are there any applications for the measurement of the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency?

Yes, there are many applications for this measurement. It is used in research related to quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and cosmology. It also has practical applications in developing new technologies such as precision clocks and atomic sensors.

5. Has the measurement of the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency ever been used to test theories in physics?

Yes, the measurement of the hydrogen 1s 4s transition frequency has been used to test theories such as quantum electrodynamics and to search for new physics beyond the Standard Model. It is also being used in ongoing research to further our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.