1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring a Coil of Wire With Ohmmeter and Balance

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A coil of fine copper wire has a resistance of 6.2 -Ω and a total mass is 14.4 g. What is the diameter d of the wire and what is its length L? (The density of copper is 8.96 g/cm3.)
    Hint Given: •Model the wire as a long cylinder of diameter d and length L. Write one relation for its mass, another for its resistance--from these two relations, you can determine the two desired quantities.

2. Relevant equations

R=p*L/A where R = Resistance, p = resistivity coefficient, L = length, A = Area

In this case resistivity coefficient of copper is given as p = 1.68*10^-8 Ohms/m

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the equation R=p*L/A I know the value of R is 6.2 Ohms and the value of p is 1.68*10^-8 Ohms/m
    I know that to find the diameter and length of the cylinder, I need to find the Area.
    To find the area, my method is: p/R * L = A
    But I only know p and R, so I'm not sure how to solve for the length and the area.
    Would I just use v = m/d where v = volume and m/d = mass/density ?
    If I do that:
    (14.4g)/(8.96g/cm^3) = 1.607142 (volume)
    What do I do once I get the volume? Do I convert the volume measurements since they're in cm^3?

Maybe this is more of a math question but I'm just stuck at that part so I would appreciate some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Yes, just a math problem: two unknowns need two equations before you can solve them.
    One equation gives you A/L = k or A=kL (from resistance) and the other gives you AL = v because Area x Length =Volume.
    You can combine the two equations to eliminate either A or L, then solve for the other. Then use the value you find, put into either equation and solve for the other.

You need to be careful because,
    1- you are mixing units (m and cm): resistivity is given in Ohm metres and density in grammes per cubic centimetre. Maybe you should decide what units to work in and convert the constants? Otherwise be careful!
    2- you wrote, "the value of p is 1.68*10^-8 Ohms/m" but the units of resistivity are Ohm metres not Ohms per metre

Maths example:
    If you know P= 5 Q and P x Q = 10
    then you can use the first in the second to say
    5 Q x Q = 10 so
    5 Q2 = 10 so
    Q2 = 2 so
    Q = sqrt(2) = 1.414 and
    P = 5 Q = 5 x 1.414 = 7.07
    Check P x Q = 7.07 x 1.414 = 9.996 = 10 to 3sf

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3
    So if I do this:

(1.68*10^-8) = L/A
    and multiply both sides by A then
    A(1.68*10^-8)=L

then substitute that into the AL=V

A(A*1.68*10^-8A)=1.6071 (calculated volume from given density and mass)
    and calculating for A, I get
    A=457.346

?

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Originally you said,
    So your work now,
    does not look quite right, does it?
    You should have
    R = (p*L)/A so 6.2 = ( 1.68^-8 * L) / A etc

yes, provided you are sure the units are compatible.

Finally,
    well the ? is appropriate, because you have not given any units!
    But it was wrong because of the first mistake and you did well to realise it could not be correct.

I think you are nearly there now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted