1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring current in RLC circuit

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've recently completed a experiment involving a Driven series RLC circuit. The potential difference across R " a variable resistor >> internal resistance of inductor" was measured.

When calculating the current from the PD across R, should I include the internal resistance of L " the inductor"?

2. Relevant equations

V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

If I include L's resistance:

I think this would give a incorrect answers because the PD across R would be less.

So the overall effect would be that the amplitude of current in the components will be reduced, and the measured effect of storing energy in C or L would come out as being very good quality components. Since numerically they would be storing a larger percentage of the supplied energy.

If I don't include L's resistance:

I'm not sure on the affect in the formula when calculating values from this current. Since L is assumed to be a perfect inductor, i.e. all the energy is stored within the magnetic field and not dissipated as heat.

Thanks Danny

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The current I flowing through the resistor R produces the potential drop V across that resistance. Ohm's law applies individually to each resistance. While it is true that the same current flows through all the components in a series circuit, other resistances in the string will not affect the potential across that particular R due to that current.

Suppose that you could somehow separate the internal resistance of the inductor from the inductor itself and make it a separate resistance r in series with an ideal inductance. Then, if you were so able to do so, you could measure the potential drop v across this r and deduce the same current I that you did for the external resistor R.

The bottom line is, in order to find the current I that is flowing in the series circuit, it is enough to measure the potential drop across R and apply Ohm's law for that resistance alone: I = V/R.

When deducing other characteristics of the circuit's behavior, however, you will have to take into account that the total resistance is R+r.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much, I think I need that push of clarity which you provided. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook