Measuring electrical resistance of a brick at high temperature

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gazchatterton2003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coursework Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
gazchatterton2003
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I currently have to produce a piece of coursework on the electrical resistance of a house brick and how it changes with temperature i was wondering if anyone could help me with certain aspects of it

Does anyone know a value for the resistivity of a brick preferably with a quoted source. Also I am in need of a method of fixing to wires to a brick so i can measure the bricks resistance using an digital amp metre bearing in mind that in this method will have to with stand temperatures of up to 800 degrees c in a kiln

thanks in advance gaz :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gazchatterton2003 said:
I currently have to produce a piece of coursework on the electrical resistance of a house brick and how it changes with temperature i was wondering if anyone could help me with certain aspects of it

Does anyone know a value for the resistivity of a brick preferably with a quoted source. Also I am in need of a method of fixing to wires to a brick so i can measure the bricks resistance using an digital amp metre bearing in mind that in this method will have to with stand temperatures of up to 800 degrees c in a kiln

thanks in advance gaz :smile:

hey I am doing same planning exercise OCR right

i don't think you need the restivity of the brick, you just have to measure the p.d across the brick and the current at each different temp to find the resistance, hence you don't needs its restivity.

fixing wires to a brick I am still not sure,

plus you have got to take into account there's going to be resistance in the connecting wires that connect to the brick because i wod assume they will be heated as well within the temperature range
 
Yes

brewnog said:
Stalybridge as in Manchester Stalybridge?

yer i live in stalybridge
 
westerman16 said:
hey I am doing same planning exercise OCR right

i don't think you need the restivity of the brick, you just have to measure the p.d across the brick and the current at each different temp to find the resistance, hence you don't needs its restivity.

fixing wires to a brick I am still not sure,

plus you have got to take into account there's going to be resistance in the connecting wires that connect to the brick because i wod assume they will be heated as well within the temperature range

yup I am doing ocr planning exercise
 
im doing the the same plan and i know that you can connect wires to the brick with something called conductive paint
 
jkl34 said:
im doing the the same plan and i know that you can connect wires to the brick with something called conductive paint

is that going be withstand the temperature at 800 degrees?

:smile: