1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does water volume affect electrical resistance?

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    Hi, I've had an idea for a school physics project but I'm not sure if it will work.
    I want to measure the volume of water in a fixed shape container by passing an electrical current though it and monitoring how the resistance changes (with a potential divider circuit). My idea is that if I connect two electrodes at the opposite ends of the bottom of the container and then add more water to the container, the resistance would drop. I got this from how a thicker wire has less resistance than a thinner wire. However, I'm guessing that water doesn't work in the same way as metal wire so I would really value your opinions on how you think this will or won't work.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pure water doesn't conduct electricity very well but otherwise it should work. It might not be very linear if your container is very tall.

Edit: I forgot to add that if you use a potential divider circuit one of the electrodes will be at a higher voltage than the other. This may result in electroplating effects (eg one electrode dissolves). This is unlikely to be a problem if you only need it to work for few days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook