Measuring SoC/life on Li-ion battery - help please

In summary, the user is looking for a device that can accurately measure the state of charge of a standard cell phone li-ion battery independent of the handset. However, this is not a simple task and requires both a voltmeter and some calculations to determine the actual capacity of the battery.
rthomas_uk
Hi all,

I've been trying to find some sort of multimeter/voltmeter/etc that will allow me to get an accurate (and independent of the handset) read on state of charge, or remaining life, on a standard cell phone li-ion battery.

I've found a few voltmeters and the like, but my understanding is that it's not as simple as that...?

I'd be very grateful if anybody know of such a device or can give me any information.

Many thanks,
Rich

Engineering news on Phys.org
rthomas_uk said:
Hi all,

I've been trying to find some sort of multimeter/voltmeter/etc that will allow me to get an accurate (and independent of the handset) read on state of charge, or remaining life, on a standard cell phone li-ion battery.

I've found a few voltmeters and the like, but my understanding is that it's not as simple as that...?

I'd be very grateful if anybody know of such a device or can give me any information.

Many thanks,
Rich

rthomas_uk, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Knowing the State-of-Charge (SOC) of a lithium-ion battery is not so straightforward. Yes, a quality voltmeter is necessary, but some calculations are needed also. See:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries/

And:
"If a Li-ion battery is used in applications where knowing the SOC is crucial (such as Electric Vehicles), there is a need to measure its actual capacity. The battery capacity is measured by integrating its current from completely full to completely empty (or vice-versa)."
http://liionbms.com/php/wp_soc_estimate.php

1. What is SoC and why is it important in measuring battery life?

SoC stands for State of Charge, which refers to the amount of energy left in a battery. It is important to measure SoC because it gives an indication of how much longer a battery can power a device before needing to be recharged.

2. How can I measure SoC on a Li-ion battery?

There are several methods for measuring SoC on a Li-ion battery, including using a battery management system, using a coulomb counter, or using voltage measurements. It is important to choose a method that is appropriate for your specific battery and application.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of SoC measurements?

The accuracy of SoC measurements can be affected by several factors, including temperature, aging of the battery, and the type of load being placed on the battery. It is important to consider these factors when choosing a method for measuring SoC.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of SoC measurements?

One way to improve the accuracy of SoC measurements is to use a combination of different methods, such as using a battery management system in conjunction with voltage measurements. It is also important to regularly calibrate and recalibrate the measurement equipment.

5. Can a Li-ion battery's SoC be measured while it is in use?

Yes, it is possible to measure a Li-ion battery's SoC while it is in use, but it may not be as accurate as measuring the SoC when the battery is at rest. The load on the battery can affect the accuracy of the measurement, so it is important to consider this when interpreting the results.