Measuring specific latent heat of ice without a calorimeter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
xxpsychoxx
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
How do i determine this, in J/kg, without the use of any calorimeteres? Keep it simple please

Thanks :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always just google it.

I don't think you can "determine" it without using a calorimeter.
 
Specific heat and latent heat are two different things. Are you supposed to find both of them?

Edit: just noticed that the unit, J/kg, is for latent heat. "Specific heat" and "heat capacity" are both equivalent shorter phreases for "specific heat capacity." I have never heard the use of the term "Specific Latent heat" but I'll not go out on a limb and say it's "wrong." It sure sounds funny though.

No matter how you find them, even without a calorimeter, you need mass-scale, a heater, a thermometer, and a stopwatch.
 
Last edited:
Measure vapor pressures of the solid and liquid phases; determine enthalpies of vaporization for both phases at 0 C; difference is enthalpy of fusion.