1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the specific latent heat of fusion of nitrogen?

1. Aug 10, 2014 #1
    When doing an experiment to find the specific latent heat of fusion of liquid nitrogen, you find that 100 kJ of heat must be removed to freeze 3.8kg of nitrogen at its freezing point. What value will you get for the specific latent heat of fusion of nitrogen?

Power=100kj
    M=3.8kg
    I don't know how to use these to find the value of the specific latent heat of fusion of nitrogen

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Power is not measured in kJ.

You know how much heat must be removed from 3.8 kg of LN2 in order to freeze it. What is the definition of 'specific latent heat of fusion'? Apply the definition of this term to the data you were given.

4. Aug 10, 2014 #3
    This the definition mean the amount of heat energy that you have to put into a substance that will make a change of state but not raise the temperture of it.
    But I don't know how to apply it to the question

5. Aug 10, 2014 #4
    It is not just the amount of heat. It's the amount of heat per unit mass. When you see the word "specific" in this type of context, it means "per unit mass."

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted