1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the Richter Scale with logarithms

1. Aug 2, 2012 #1
    An Earthquake measures 6.1 on the Richter Scale. What is the rating on an earthquake that is twice as powerful?

I = I0 × 10M
    I-intensity of earthquake
    I0-earthquake with intensity of 0
    M-magnitude of earthquake on the Richter Scale

So I figured I'd use I1 = I0 × 106.1 to find the intensity of earthquake 1 (I1)
    then, 2I=I2 to find the intensity of earthquake 2 (I2), which is double that of I1
    and finally, M=log(I2/I0) to find the resulting magnitude, or rating, of the Richter Scale.

But my problem begins at the very beginning.

If I0 = 0 then I1 = 0 too...
    and I'm quite thrown off by this.
    Am I taking the totally wrong approach to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I0 can't be 0.

4. Aug 2, 2012 #3
    I know! :P I don't understand what else it could be though?? No additional info was given in the question and no one else that I have showed this to has a clue of what to do!

5. Aug 2, 2012 #4

Mark44

How about I0 = 1?

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5
    exactly! that would make sense wouldn't it? But no where in the question, or even in the lesson as a matter of fact, did it mention Io being equal to 1.
    Quote from the text : "The Richter scale... is based on a comparison of intensities to Io, which is an earthquake of intensity 0."
    Did I just understand that incorrectly?

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6

Mark44

I don't think it was worded very well. In any case, the definition your book uses in terms of intensities seems unusual. I did a search yesterday when you posted your other question - most of the definitions I saw for Richter calculations involve the shaking amplitude, not the earthquake intensity.

The formula I saw gives the earthquake magnitude as ML = log10(A/A0(δ)), where A is the shaking amplitude of a given earthquake, and A0(δ) is a function of the distance from the epicenter of the quake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook