Solving a 5.4 Earthquake Aftershock: Round to 1 Decimal Place

• Thread starter JasSingh96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary, to find the magnitude of the aftershock, use the formula M = log(I/I0) and compute the intensity of the original quake. Then divide that intensity by 39 to find the intensity of the aftershock. Finally, compute the magnitude of the aftershock using the same formula.
JasSingh96
Can someone please solve this . I have been trying to solve this from last 2 days.
1. Question
  1. An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4 is 39 times as intense as an aftershock that occurs five hours later. What is the magnitude of the aftershock? Round your answer to one decimal place.
2. Formula Given in Text Book.
M=log(I/I0)

• M is the magnitude
  • I is the intensity of the earthquake
  • I0 is the intensity of an earthquake with a magnitude of 0
formula for richter scale.PNG

Thanks

Attachments

• formula for richter scale.PNG
    formula for richter scale.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 6,077
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the magnitude to compute the I of the original quake.

Divide that I by 39 to find the intensity of the aftershock.

Compute the mahnitude of the aftershock.

Likes JasSingh96
If the intensity are ##I_1,~I_2,## then their magnitudes' difference can be done with ##M_1-M_2=\ln\frac{I_1}{I_0}-\ln\frac{I_2}{I_0}## right? With the information you got, try to have some attempts on it .

Likes JasSingh96

1. What is a 5.4 earthquake aftershock?

A 5.4 earthquake aftershock refers to a smaller earthquake that occurs after a larger earthquake (in this case, a 5.4 magnitude earthquake). Aftershocks can happen immediately after the main earthquake or in the days, weeks, or even months following it.

2. Why is it important to round the aftershock to 1 decimal place?

Rounding the aftershock to 1 decimal place is important because it allows for better accuracy in reporting and tracking seismic activity. It also helps to avoid confusion and discrepancies in data analysis.

3. How is the magnitude of an earthquake calculated?

The magnitude of an earthquake is calculated using a logarithmic scale based on the amplitude of the seismic waves recorded by seismographs. This scale, known as the Richter scale, ranges from 0 to 10.

4. Can aftershocks be as strong as the main earthquake?

It is possible for aftershocks to be as strong as the main earthquake, but it is not very common. Aftershocks are typically smaller in magnitude and decrease in frequency over time.

5. How can scientists predict aftershocks?

Scientists cannot predict aftershocks with complete accuracy, but they can use statistical models and historical data to estimate the likelihood and frequency of aftershocks. These predictions can help inform emergency response and earthquake preparedness efforts.