Solving a 5.4 Earthquake Aftershock: Round to 1 Decimal Place

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasSingh96
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earthquake
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
JasSingh96
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Can someone please solve this . I have been trying to solve this from last 2 days.
1. Question
  1. An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4 is 39 times as intense as an aftershock that occurs five hours later. What is the magnitude of the aftershock? Round your answer to one decimal place.
2. Formula Given in Text Book.
M=log(I/I0)

  • M is the magnitude
    [*]I is the intensity of the earthquake
    [*]I0 is the intensity of an earthquake with a magnitude of 0

formula for richter scale.PNG


Thanks
 
Attachments
  • formula for richter scale.PNG
    formula for richter scale.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 6,235
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the magnitude to compute the I of the original quake.

Divide that I by 39 to find the intensity of the aftershock.

Compute the mahnitude of the aftershock.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JasSingh96
If the intensity are ##I_1,~I_2,## then their magnitudes' difference can be done with ##M_1-M_2=\ln\frac{I_1}{I_0}-\ln\frac{I_2}{I_0}## right? With the information you got, try to have some attempts on it .
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JasSingh96