1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating Optical Depth and Extinction (τ(λ) and A(λ))

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    Hey guys sorry my first post is a help request and not an introduction or anything but I'd really appreciate a helping hand here

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the extinction A(λ) and optical depth τ(λ) are related by the linear relationship A(λ)=1.086*τ(λ)

2. Relevant equations

m(λ)=M(λ) + 5Log(d)-5 + A(λ)
    which I'd rearrage to

Here in lies the problem, I have all the equations I can find in my notes and the slides but nothing that relates τ(λ) to anything other than:

exp(-τ) = (I/I0) (sorry wasn't sure how to subscript the 0 in I0)

and then nothing to relate intensities to magnitudes.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought maybe I could use 2 stars where I new the apparent and absolute magnitudes ( the sun and vega, etc) and the distance obviously and then calculate how τ(λ) and A(λ) are related and show the 1.086 multiplier in both but I can't work out how to relate A(λ) to anything involving intensity.

I hope you guys can help me out here since I'm stumped :) thanks for anything you can
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2
    Start with the definition of a difference in apparent magnitudes. . .

[tex] m_1 - m_2 = 2.5log(I_1/I_2) [/tex]

extinction, A is defined as [tex] A = m^{'} - m [/tex]

Now, how are I_1, I_2, and tau related. . .
  4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    Souldn't it be [tex] m_1 - m_2 = 2.5log(I_2/I_1) [/tex] ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?