Mech. engineering; Homework Help; Velocity&BrakeForce

In summary, the problem is calculating the energy required to stop a ride similar to the 'Tower of Terror' or Drop Tower.
DTskkaii
PROBLEM
The problem models a theme park ride similar to the 'Tower of Terror' or Drop Tower (photo below)

http://www.zamperla.com/uploads/product/big/Prodotti/tower-rides/flashtower_main.jpg

The carriage mass is 1532kg and carries a maximum number of 8 riders with an average of 75kg per person. The vehicle drops from the rest position at a height of 110,000mm until the position at 35,000mm from the ground level. After this position, constant brakes are applied to slow the vehicle down. Assuming there is no friction force along the track:
1) Calculate thhe velocity at the position where the brakes start to engage
2) Calculate the deceleration during braking
3) Using the energy method, calculate the brake force and the energy required to bring the carriage to a stop (900mm above ground level)

NEXT STEP
Every time I look at this, I get new ideas about where to begin, but can never really settle, so if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

1) I feel like this should just be v=ma by the distance, but that seems way too simple.
The total mass should be 2123kg, acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2, and its over a distance of 75,000mm.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part 1, the carriage and riders are in free fall. You can use one of the kinematic equations to find the speed after it has dropped 75 m.

For part 2, you need to read part 3 first before calculating the deceleration in the same manner.

Thankyou Jay!

I worked out the first part using the kinematic eqn Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2AD
and got that Vf = 38.34m/s.

Moving to parts 2 and 3, I am a little bit stuck.
I believe that I am supposed to use this 'energy eqn':
U1-2 + T1 + Vg1 + Ve1 = T2 + Vg2 + Ve2 or U1-2 = deltaT + deltaVg + deltaVe
but honestly I don't know how to implement that with the values that I have.
I think just having a bit of a mental block, but if you could explain it a little, that would be amazing.

Cheers.

DTskkaii said:
Thankyou Jay!

I worked out the first part using the kinematic eqn Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2AD
and got that Vf = 38.34m/s.
Yepp! :smile:
Moving to parts 2 and 3, I am a little bit stuck.
I believe that I am supposed to use this 'energy eqn':
U1-2 + T1 + Vg1 + Ve1 = T2 + Vg2 + Ve2 or U1-2 = deltaT + deltaVg + deltaVe
but honestly I don't know how to implement that with the values that I have.
Well OK you started with part 3, and your energy equation looks good provided you understand the terms. T is kinetic energy, V is potential energy, and U is the work done by the braking force (usually designated as W). Calculate the initial kinetic and potential energies at the start of the braking (at 35 m), and the final potential and kinetic energies when it stops (at 0.9 m, where v =0). Then you can find the brake force using the definition of work.
I think just having a bit of a mental block, but if you could explain it a little, that would be amazing.

Cheers.
Don't forget part 2 using an approach similar to the one you used in part 1. And in part 3, the problem asks for the energy (presumably due to the work done by the brake force) required to bring the thing to a stop.

Got it all done, hopefully correctly!

Thanks heaps Jay :)

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and use of machines and mechanical systems. It involves the application of principles from physics, materials science, and mathematics to create efficient and functional systems.

2. What is velocity in mechanical engineering?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of displacement over time. In mechanical engineering, velocity is often used to describe the speed at which a machine or system is moving, and is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. It can also be determined by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time. In some cases, velocity can also be measured using sensors or other instruments.

4. What is brake force in mechanical engineering?

Brake force refers to the force that is applied to a braking system in order to slow down or stop a moving machine or vehicle. It is typically measured in newtons (N) or pounds of force (lbf) and is influenced by factors such as the type of brake system, the weight of the vehicle, and the speed at which it is traveling.

5. How is brake force calculated?

The calculation of brake force depends on various factors such as the type of brake system and the properties of the vehicle. Generally, brake force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the brake pads and rotors by the weight of the vehicle. However, more complex calculations may be required for specific situations.