Mechancial Spring, Transfer question, not quite adding up

• Thread starter Sparkypedia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with converting a function from F(s) = KX(s) to X/F(s) = 1/K. The speaker asks for help and someone suggests dividing both sides by F and then by k to solve the algebra. The speaker expresses gratitude for the solution.
Sparkypedia
Hello everyone, below I have placed an image of the question, I am quite happy with
the theory. My issue is how it goes from being F(s) = KX(s) to X/F(s) = 1/K

I know to change this into a transfer function it is output (X) over input (F).
However when ever I try i always end up with it = -k/1 ? not 1/K.

This is a very simple problem I know. Would appreciate any help, cheers

[PLAIN]http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9357/springr.png

Attachments

• springr.png
    springr.png
    24 KB · Views: 370
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are just having a problem with the algebra. If
F = kx, divide both sides by F, thus
1 = kx/F. Now divide both sides by k.

What do you get?

indeed i was thank you for that...its stupid i am happy with laplace, transfer functions, matrix, itegration, differentiation but simple algebra is my downfall!

1. What is a mechanical spring?

A mechanical spring is a type of elastic device that stores mechanical energy when it is stretched or compressed. It can then release that energy to perform work.

2. How does a mechanical spring work?

A mechanical spring works by following Hooke's law, which states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is proportional to the distance it is extended or compressed. This force creates potential energy in the spring, which is released when the spring returns to its original shape.

3. What are some common applications of mechanical springs?

Mechanical springs are used in a variety of applications, such as in clocks and watches, car suspensions, mattresses, and trampolines. They are also commonly used in mechanical devices that require a constant or controlled force.

4. What is a transfer question in relation to mechanical springs?

A transfer question is a type of mechanical spring that is designed to transfer energy from one part of a machine to another. This type of spring is often used in devices such as power drills or car engines.

5. What should I do if my mechanical spring doesn't seem to be adding up?

If your mechanical spring is not performing as expected, it is important to first check if it is installed correctly and if there are any external factors affecting its performance, such as dirt or corrosion. If the spring still seems to not be adding up, it may need to be replaced with a new one or adjusted to a different size or type to better suit your needs.