1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Graduate Programs

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, i just have a few quick questions about the above topic.

1st off, i am in currently a junior earning my applied physics degree with my concentration in engineering (engineering physics i guess you could say). As time went on i realized i was interested in mechanical/ aerospace engineering. So:

1.) Before i get concerned about aero, should i focus on getting an M.E masters? It seems to me that aerospace is more in depth M.E so without a M.E undergrad degree, jumping into aerospace might leave many gaps. Im hoping im wrong there, because aerospace engineering is something i am really interested in.

2.) What are some good grad schools for M.E in the north east, specifically, Pa/Nj/Ny area?

3.) As an applied physics student applying to a masters engineering program, what are some things i could do to make myself stand out and appeal to the engineering crowd more?

Thanks for the input everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    You need to know waht branch of areospace are you into....

Navigation and control?
    Structures?
    Materials?
    Aeronautics?
    Propulsion?

Be sure you know a little bit about what they do before trying to make a choice of colleges.

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3

Yeah, propulsion is my main interest, but i was more curious as to whether or not my background in applied physics is good for going straight into aerospace, or would i have to go through an M.E program first

5. Nov 22, 2008 #4
    Be sure your background is good. You can focus on plasma physics and take undergrad courses on fluid physics as a preparation. It's a start I think.

6. Nov 22, 2008 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Aerospace engineering is, like most of engineering, applied Newtonian mechanics. Make sure you truly understand your fundamentals. Fill your technical electives with classes from mathematics (good for any discipline), mechanical engineering (thermodynamics and aerodynamics) and maybe even electrical engineering (control theory). If you can take an upper undergrad/lower-level graduate course in general relativity, do so. Quantum mechanics is generally holds much less important in aerospace engineering than it does in physics.

7. Apr 26, 2010 #6
    anyone know of any good ME/AE programs where MS students are likely to get funding for their thesis? My research interests are in CFD, heat transfer, and propulsion

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7
    Virginia Tech

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?