Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Boundary condition of a Floating Structure

1. Jul 28, 2016 #1
    Dear all,

I made a cad of floating structure (the frame only), figure attached below. It should be located in the water and moored, so it can't go anywhere. The CFD simulation was done. So I have fluid force on the structure. Now I want to do mechanical analysis of the structure by apply the fluid force as external load. I have no problem in operating the software. My problem is, I already try some scenarios of boundary condition of the structure, such as fixed, pin, etc., and I found that the deformation isn't as expected (large bending) or no displacement at all.
    Any idea?

Regards,
    Shade

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2016 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the nature of the unexpected deformations or displacements? Are you constraining the structure by its floats? As a general rule you will want to constrain the model such that expansion/contraction can occur but rigid body motion cannot.

4. Jul 28, 2016 #3
    Thank you. I want to constraint it by its mooring position. So probably there won't be any frame displacement, but I expect there's stress distribution.
    So, I'm still try any combination of constraints at different part of the structure.
    Confused? Me too

Cheers
    Shade

5. Jul 29, 2016 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without a better description with pictures of the problem you're seeing, I'm not sure we can help you any more effectively.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted