Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Boundary condition of a Floating Structure

1. Jul 28, 2016 #1
    Dear all,

I made a cad of floating structure (the frame only), figure attached below. It should be located in the water and moored, so it can't go anywhere. The CFD simulation was done. So I have fluid force on the structure. Now I want to do mechanical analysis of the structure by apply the fluid force as external load. I have no problem in operating the software. My problem is, I already try some scenarios of boundary condition of the structure, such as fixed, pin, etc., and I found that the deformation isn't as expected (large bending) or no displacement at all.
    Any idea?

Regards,
    Shade

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2016 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the nature of the unexpected deformations or displacements? Are you constraining the structure by its floats? As a general rule you will want to constrain the model such that expansion/contraction can occur but rigid body motion cannot.

4. Jul 28, 2016 #3
    Thank you. I want to constraint it by its mooring position. So probably there won't be any frame displacement, but I expect there's stress distribution.
    So, I'm still try any combination of constraints at different part of the structure.
    Confused? Me too

Cheers
    Shade

5. Jul 29, 2016 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without a better description with pictures of the problem you're seeing, I'm not sure we can help you any more effectively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted