Mechanical device to lower a raised weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a small machine that can lower a raised weight slowly without the use of electrical energy. The suggestion is made to use an escarpment mechanism or a lead-screw as the hoisting mechanism, with a clockwork or weight activated power source. The lead-screw is preferred for its smooth and consistent movement and its ability to control the rate of descent.
suryag
Hi,

I am trying to design a small machine that lowers a raised weight slowly. For example if i raise the weight by 10 metres and allowed there it should start descending at 0.1m/hour. Initially i thought of a windup mechanism but i don't know how to control the rate of descent with a windup mechanism. Btw, i can't use any electrical energy.

TIA Surya

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try an escarpment mechanism like that of a clock or lighthouse motor maybe.

Sardonicus has a good approach there. As to the actual hoisting (de-hoisting?) mechanism, I have a strong preference for lead-screws, or screw-jacks, or whatever they're called in your area. I have toyed with hydraulics, pneumatics, and even a few "ics" that I made up myself... but I've never found anything that provides a smoother consistent movement than a lead-screw. They also have the advantage of being irreversible. No matter how heavy the load is, it cannot force itself down faster than the screw is calibrated for. The screw mechanism can involve an escapement as Sardonicus mentioned, or an intermediate gearbox. Both approaches will work fine with a clockwork or weight activated power source.

What is a mechanical device to lower a raised weight?

A mechanical device to lower a raised weight is a tool or machine that uses mechanical force to safely and efficiently lower a heavy object from a higher position to a lower one.

How does a mechanical device to lower a raised weight work?

A mechanical device to lower a raised weight typically uses a combination of gears, pulleys, and levers to distribute the weight and decrease the amount of force needed to lower the object. Some devices may also use hydraulic or pneumatic systems to further assist in the lowering process.

What are the benefits of using a mechanical device to lower a raised weight?

Using a mechanical device to lower a raised weight can greatly reduce the risk of injury or strain for individuals handling heavy objects. It can also increase efficiency and productivity in tasks that involve lowering heavy objects.

What types of weights can be lowered using a mechanical device?

A mechanical device to lower a raised weight can be used for a wide range of weights, from small objects in a laboratory setting to heavy machinery in a construction site. The device can be customized or adjusted to accommodate different weight capacities.

Is it safe to use a mechanical device to lower a raised weight?

As with any tool or machine, proper training and following safety protocols are important when using a mechanical device to lower a raised weight. When used correctly, these devices are designed to safely lower weights and reduce the risk of accidents or injuries.