Force With a Pulley: Theoretical and Experimental

In summary, a physics student in 12th grade encountered a problem in which his teacher's method of solving yielded a different result from his own. After recreating the situation in class, the results supported the teacher's method. However, the student believed his method to be correct as it was backed by the internet and textbooks. The student's method involved using the individual masses of each object, while the teacher's method involved using the total mass of the system. The student questioned the validity of the experiment, as the conditions were not entirely met and there were additional factors such as friction and rolling resistance. The student measured acceleration by timing the toy car and using the formula x=(1/2)a*t^2. In the end, the
Thornak

Homework Statement

[/B]
This is not a typical homework problem, so I hope I am posting this in the correct place. I am in 12th grade physics and we are dealing with basic kinematics. However, we recently did a set of problems that I did in a way which makes sense and which our textbook (and the rest of the Internet) says is correct, but my physics teacher claimed otherwise. After a little bit of debate, we ended up recreating the situation in class. The results supported my teacher, but I can't believe the rest of the world is wrong. An example problem is below:

nMkXx.png

Two objects are connected by a massless string and massless/frictionless pulley. m1 weighs 3 kg and hangs off of the table. m2 weighs 5 kg and sits on a frictionless surface. What is the acceleration of m2?

Homework Equations

My way is simple: (m1)*g=(m1+m2)*a, so a=(m1)*g/(m1+m2).

My teacher's way involves drawing free-body diagrams, which you can use in my way and still come to the same answer. However, for the equations of each object, my teacher uses TOTAL mass of the system because "it is all accelerating as one unit." For example, his equation in the y-direction for m1 is Fgravity-Ftension=(m1+m2)*a. And his equation for m2 in the x-direction is Ftension=(m1+m2)*a. When you use these two equations to solve for a, you end up getting Fgravity-(m1+m2)*a=(m1+m2)*a, so a=Fgravity/[2(m1+m2)]=m*a/[2(m1+m2)]. Thus, his answer is always half of mine.

The Attempt at a Solution

With the entire Internet backing me up, I assumed I was correct. But when we recreated the situation in class, the results supported my teacher's answers. The only difference in our experiment was that obviously the massless, frictionless conditions were not met, though my teacher assured the class that they were negligible (we used light pulleys and a toy car on wheels). Also, the setup was slightly different, as shown below:

upload_2015-10-1_21-19-50.png

(Sorry for the crappy diagram. I quickly cooked this up in MS paint. But I think you get the point.)

I don't believe the two pulleys in this experiment matter because they do not create a pulley system. They simply redirect the force twice instead of once. I may be wrong, though.

My question is twofold: First, who is correct and who is not? And second, if I am technically correct, why did the experiment yield results that supported my teacher's claim? This is an issue that will probably reappear as the year goes on, so I need to figure this out. Thank you!

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-1_21-16-18.png
    upload_2015-10-1_21-16-18.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 598
Physics news on Phys.org
Thornak said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
This is not a typical homework problem, so I hope I am posting this in the correct place. I am in 12th grade physics and we are dealing with basic kinematics. However, we recently did a set of problems that I did in a way which makes sense and which our textbook (and the rest of the Internet) says is correct, but my physics teacher claimed otherwise. After a little bit of debate, we ended up recreating the situation in class. The results supported my teacher, but I can't believe the rest of the world is wrong. An example problem is below:

nMkXx.png

Two objects are connected by a massless string and massless/frictionless pulley. m1 weighs 3 kg and hangs off of the table. m2 weighs 5 kg and sits on a frictionless surface. What is the acceleration of m2?

Homework Equations

My way is simple: (m1)*g=(m1+m2)*a, so a=(m1)*g/(m1+m2).

My teacher's way involves drawing free-body diagrams, which you can use in my way and still come to the same answer. However, for the equations of each object, my teacher uses TOTAL mass of the system because "it is all accelerating as one unit." For example, his equation in the y-direction for m1 is Fgravity-Ftension=(m1+m2)*a. And his equation for m2 in the x-direction is Ftension=(m1+m2)*a. When you use these two equations to solve for a, you end up getting Fgravity-(m1+m2)*a=(m1+m2)*a, so a=Fgravity/[2(m1+m2)]=m*a/[2(m1+m2)]. Thus, his answer is always half of mine.

The Attempt at a Solution

With the entire Internet backing me up, I assumed I was correct. But when we recreated the situation in class, the results supported my teacher's answers. The only difference in our experiment was that obviously the massless, frictionless conditions were not met, though my teacher assured the class that they were negligible (we used light pulleys and a toy car on wheels). Also, the setup was slightly different, as shown below:

View attachment 89641
(Sorry for the crappy diagram. I quickly cooked this up in MS paint. But I think you get the point.)

I don't believe the two pulleys in this experiment matter because they do not create a pulley system. They simply redirect the force twice instead of once. I may be wrong, though.

My question is twofold: First, who is correct and who is not? And second, if I am technically correct, why did the experiment yield results that supported my teacher's claim? This is an issue that will probably reappear as the year goes on, so I need to figure this out. Thank you!
You are right and your teacher is wrong.
In the real situation, you certainly measure less acceleration as the theory indicates. It is not only the moment of inertia of the pulley, but also the friction at the axis of the pulley. And it appears twice in the second set-up. Also the friction/rolling resistance between the toy car and and the table decreases acceleration.
The other thing, how did you measure acceleration.

ehild said:
You are right and your teacher is wrong.
In the real situation, you certainly measure less acceleration as the theory indicates. It is not only the moment of inertia of the pulley, but also the friction at the axis of the pulley. And it appears twice in the second set-up. Also the friction/rolling resistance between the toy car and and the table decreases acceleration.
The other thing, how did you measure acceleration.

We measured acceleration by timing the car and then using x=v0*t+(1/2)a*t2, which, because v0=0, simplifies to x=(1/2)a*t2. Thus, a=2x/t2.
I figured the unaccounted frictions/masses were causing the problem, but it was odd how close the calculated acceleration was to half of my theoretical.

Wheels on toy cards diminish friction between the mass and the table, but when accelerating, the rotation of the wheels also counts, as if additional mass was given to the mass of the cart. It also can happen that the wheels do not do pure rolling, and then friction does count.
The set-up your teacher used is complicated enough, there are lot of places where friction can appear. Haven't you tried an experience with a single pulley and two hanging masses?

Yes. I agree with Ehild. Your answer is right and your teacher's answer is wrong. To begin with, your teacher's equation for the tension is wrong. It should just be m2a. Apparently you teacher thinks that he has advanced beyond the point where he no longer needs to use free body diagrams. He's wrong about that too.

My general rule is: always, always, always, always, always use free body diagrams.

Chet

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or chain passing over it. It is used to lift or move objects by applying force through the rope or chain.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by changing the direction of the force applied to it. When a rope or chain is pulled down on one side of the pulley, the object attached to the other side is lifted up. This is because the pulley redirects the force in a different direction, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

What is the theoretical basis of force with a pulley?

The theoretical basis of force with a pulley is based on the principle of work and energy. According to this principle, the work done on an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance moved in the direction of the force. In the case of a pulley, the force is reduced but the distance over which the force is applied is increased, resulting in the same amount of work being done.

How is force with a pulley measured experimentally?

Force with a pulley can be measured experimentally using a spring scale or a force sensor. The force sensor can be attached to one end of the rope or chain, and the other end can be attached to the object being lifted. As the object is lifted, the force sensor will measure the force being applied to the rope or chain.

What are the practical applications of force with a pulley?

Force with a pulley has many practical applications, such as lifting heavy objects, moving objects horizontally, and creating mechanical advantage in various machines. It is used in construction, transportation, and even in everyday tasks like hoisting groceries or raising a flag on a flagpole.