1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical engergy, energy conservation

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10-kg block is released from point A. The track is frictionless except from the portion between B and C which has a length of 3.0 meters. The block travels down the track, passes through BC and first collides with a small block (m=2kg), then they travel together and later hit the spring.

Q: Find the velocity of the block after it passes BC

There were two questions before it, find the velocity of the block when it reaches point B at the bottom of the track and it's 8.85m/s then I found the work between B and C which is -88.2 J. I tried setting up different equations to find the velocity after it passes B and C, but I am missing something.

2. Relevant equations
    Wf=E2-E1
    E2=E1
    1/2mv^2, mgh, 1/2kx^2, mgx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried setting the equation equal to the work, -88.2=1/2V^2(m+m), I recently tried -2μkgd=mv2^2-(mv1^2+2mgh1). I am not sure if I am supposed to have the second block in there or not.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For the velocity at point C, the second block does not matter - it is not a part of the motion yet.
    You probably have the energy of the first block at point B as intermediate result. If it loses 88.2J, what is its energy at point C? This allows to calculate the velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted