Mechanical Engineering Technology

In summary: D printing will not take away jobs from Mechanical Engineers as it is just another tool that they can use in their arsenal.
Phantom31
I have a question do you think Mechanical Engineering Technology is a good degree to obtain? Would Mechanical Engineering Technology still be in demand even with manufacturing jobs being shipped over seas? Do you think getting a bachelors degree In Mechanical Engineering Technology gives you a leg up? Would technology such as 3D printing take away job opportunities from technologist?

I can't comment directly on the MET degree, but I can comment on the EET (electrical engineering technology). Yes, it will give you a leg up, but if you can handle the extra math needed for a full blown engineering degree, you should go after it, instead. Engineering technology degrees only require math to the Calc I level (and sometimes not that). While most math for engineers isn't at a high level, it can be. And the engineering technology major suffers from the prejudice of not being deeply educated in engineering type math. Often the Engineering Technologist has his career path end at the senior tech level ie pilot plant, prototype and lab type work and cannot break into the engineering design or advanced level work that is given to an ABET accredited engineering major.
The NCEES and most states make an Engineering technology major wait 2x as long to even be able to sit for a PE exam, ALL ELSE being equal.
That said, an Engineering Technology major is ideal for online or distance learning as it will let you take engineering type coursework and allow someone who may have lots of field knowledge to gain an education in the engineering field where they work. I myself nearly graduated with an Electrical Engineering technology degree.

Last edited:
Well Mechanical Engineering will always be in demand, although core of it is slowly dying. The reason being mechanical engineers are more inclined towards managing things now a days than design.

1. What is Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Mechanical Engineering Technology is a field that involves the application of engineering principles and techniques to design, develop, and maintain mechanical systems. This can include working with machines, tools, and equipment to improve processes and solve problems.

2. What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology?

The main difference between Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology is that Mechanical Engineering focuses more on theoretical concepts and design, while Mechanical Engineering Technology focuses on the practical application of these concepts and the use of tools and techniques to implement them in real-world situations.

3. What skills are needed to be successful in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Some important skills for success in Mechanical Engineering Technology include problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, strong math and science skills, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are important for working in a collaborative engineering environment.

4. What career opportunities are available in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Graduates with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology can pursue various career paths, including roles in product design, manufacturing, quality control, and maintenance. They may also work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, consumer products, and energy.

5. What are the benefits of studying Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Studying Mechanical Engineering Technology can provide a strong foundation in engineering principles and practical skills that are highly valued in the job market. Graduates can also have the opportunity to work on diverse projects and make a significant impact in various industries. Additionally, the constant advancements in technology and the need for efficient mechanical systems make this field a constantly evolving and exciting one to be a part of.