1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical / progressive / transverse / longitudinal waves

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what I've learnt, there are three kinds of waves: mechanical, transverse progressive and longitudinal progressive.

Mechanical - A disturbance makes particles vibrate on the spot
    Transverse progressive - Energy is carried, and moves perpendicular to the direction of travel
    Longitudinal progressive - Energy is carried, and moves parallel to the direction of travel

Where do sound waves fall under in this system? Different sources say mechanical or longitudinal.
    Also, what about ocean waves, or moving a rope up and down?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that and

that .... are pretty much the same thing

is a very poor description as nothing will vibrate on the spot ONLY ... there will always be a wave that will radiate out from that spot

They are both compressional waves that radiate out from the source. They both describe sound waves and seismic P waves

Seismic S waves are an example of traverse waves. They are a shear wave and an important feature of traverse (shear) waves is that they wont travel through a liquid
    This is because a liquid has no shear strength

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook