Mechanical Vibration Assignment Help

In summary: Sorry for late reply, been busy for other assignments lately.To be honest, due to the pandemic of Covid-19, we students did not really acquire the knowledge of this subject, so my lecturer told me, the calculation of how we choose the Anti-vibration mount is enough at today condition.So i am trying to working out on some simple calculation but i wonder if it is correct.First image is the work I've done to calculate some simple data.And then , i select a Anti-vibration mount which has compression load of 20kg, and from image 2, referring to M25, for line drew horizontally to the next graph, i obtained around 4.6mm static def
ahbin98
New poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
For my part i needed to do calculation, but i dont know what calculation can be made.
Relevant Equations
I dont know :(
I just need any simple calculation that can be made, anyone who willing to help me out please contact me

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    86.8 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! :cool:
Are you given any data to perform such calculations?
How far should you go into designing that portable test bed?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome! :cool:
Are you given any data to perform such calculations?
How far should you go into designing that portable test bed?

I only have the data of the engine like rpm and weight... The test bed design i think my friend are drawing it following the figure attached.. Another photo attached is the guide from my lecturer but i still don't understand.
Thanks for reply!

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_203406.jpg
    IMG_20200806_203406.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20200806_203741_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20200806_203741_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.docs.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 105
The guidance of your lecturer seems very precise and easy to follow.
Please, take it easy and only try to apply the principles that you have learned to this particular case.

Basically, you need to calculate the energy, dead weight, accelerations and frequency that your flexible element has to withstand.
That element is going to absorb as much energy as possible, before it reaches the surface on which the base is placed on.

You can use springs and dampers, avoiding resonance.
You can also use rubber, which acts like a spring and a damper at once.

Just start working on what you know (or re-study what you should know by now) and show us your work, please.

Likes berkeman
Lnewqban said:
The guidance of your lecturer seems very precise and easy to follow.
Please, take it easy and only try to apply the principles that you have learned to this particular case.

Basically, you need to calculate the energy, dead weight, accelerations and frequency that your flexible element has to withstand.
That element is going to absorb as much energy as possible, before it reaches the surface on which the base is placed on.

You can use springs and dampers, avoiding resonance.
You can also use rubber, which acts like a spring and a damper at once.

Just start working on what you know (or re-study what you should know by now) and show us your work, please.
I've been trying to read my slides for a week and i still can't figure it out :(
I don't know what data do i need and which formulae i need to use.
I think i only managed to figure out that the dry weight of the engine is 67.5KG, so i picked a anti-vibration mount(rubber) which has compression deflection of 20kg each and i need 4 of them, is it working that way?

ahbin98 said:
I've been trying to read my slides for a week and i still can't figure it out :(
I don't know what data do i need and which formulae i need to use.
I think i only managed to figure out that the dry weight of the engine is 67.5KG, so i picked a anti-vibration mount(rubber) which has compression deflection of 20kg each and i need 4 of them, is it working that way?
You will need to anchor a steel frame to the generator.
Then, you will locate and anchor four dampeners to and under that frame.
You will have a weight distribution that you can estimate for each damper.

Perhaps weight will be equally distributed, perhaps not, if you frame needs to have a handle and wheels.
You will need to add weight of frame.

Be careful about units, kilograms should be mass, not weight.
Perhaps the data is telling you 67 kilogram-force, which is an old technical unit?

The frequency to use may be the rpm's of the engine?

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
You will need to anchor a steel frame to the generator.
Then, you will locate and anchor four dampeners to and under that frame.
You will have a weight distribution that you can estimate for each damper.

Perhaps weight will be equally distributed, perhaps not, if you frame needs to have a handle and wheels.
You will need to add weight of frame.

Be careful about units, kilograms should be mass, not weight.
Perhaps the data is telling you 67 kilogram-force, which is an old technical unit?

The frequency to use may be the rpm's of the engine?

Sorry for late reply, been busy for other assignments lately.
To be honest, due to the pandemic of Covid-19 , we students did not really acquire the knowledge of this subject, so my lecturer told me, the calculation of how we choose the Anti-vibration mount is enough at today condition.
So i am trying to working out on some simple calculation but i wonder if it is correct. First image is the work I've done to calculate some simple data.
And then , i select a Anti-vibration mount which has compression load of 20kg, and from image 2, referring to M25, for line drew horizontally to the next graph, i obtained around 4.6mm static deflection, for line drew vertically down i can obtained 21 Hz interfering frequency. Does it work like this?

Attachments

• calculation 1.PNG
    calculation 1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 118
  • vibration graph.PNG
    vibration graph.PNG
    66.9 KB · Views: 122

What is mechanical vibration?

Mechanical vibration is the rapid back and forth motion of a mechanical system about a stable equilibrium point. It can be caused by external forces or internal disturbances and can occur in various forms such as linear, rotational, or torsional.

What are the applications of mechanical vibration?

Mechanical vibration has a wide range of applications in different industries such as automotive, aerospace, construction, and manufacturing. It is used in the design and testing of structures, machines, and equipment to ensure their safety, durability, and performance.

What factors can affect mechanical vibration?

There are several factors that can affect mechanical vibration, including the type of excitation, the characteristics of the vibrating system, and the properties of the material. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and external forces can also have an impact on the vibration behavior of a system.

How can mechanical vibration be controlled?

Mechanical vibration can be controlled by various methods such as damping, isolation, and vibration absorbers. Damping reduces the amplitude of vibration by dissipating energy, isolation separates the vibrating system from its surroundings, and vibration absorbers absorb the energy of vibration.

Why is it important to study mechanical vibration?

Studying mechanical vibration is crucial for understanding the behavior of mechanical systems and ensuring their safe and efficient operation. It also helps in identifying potential issues and designing effective solutions to reduce or eliminate excessive vibration, which can lead to equipment failure and downtime.