1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics, Distance and speed question

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    What is the relationship between the distance y travelled by an object falling freely from rest and the time x the object has been falling?

The answer to this question is: y is proportional to x2

Can someone tell me how this answer is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Are you familiar with the kinematics of falling bodies? (An example of constant acceleration motion.)

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    Yes, I understand that but I still do not understand why it is X^2. Can you please explain and thank you.

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

Doc Al

They are just using, for some strange reason, "X" to stand for the time. Is that the concern?

Can you write the kinematic equation for distance as a function of time?

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    s=ut+at^2/2 and s=(u+v)/2 x t there is a lot more

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6

Doc Al

That's the one you need. Since the object is falling from rest, what is u? And change the standard variable names to what they want in the problem, Y and X.

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7
    Thank you indeed but last question: why do we reject the other equations.
    and also even if I make the initial velocity zero, then I would end up with 2s=at^2, t

9. Mar 31, 2016 #8

Doc Al

Only because we want an equation that links distance to time. The other equations link other variables, so they won't help us here.

Sure, you end up with s=at^2/2 = (a/2)t^2.

Which tells you that the distance fallen is proportional to the square of the time. (You can replace s with y, and t with x, to make it match the variable names used in the problem statement.)

10. Mar 31, 2016 #9
    Thank you very much, great mentor!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted