Mechanics / E&M / Multivariable Calc / Diff EQ Self Study

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to directed-study four courses in order to receive credit for college undergraduate credit. They are advised to find out the texts used at the desired school and work through them, and MITocw is suggested as a resource with video lectures and practice exams available.
musicalmanifesto
Hello Physics Forums!

I'm in a little bit of an interesting situation. I've completed the classes offered at my school, but have been told that if I can directed-study these four courses they will provide me with a credit bearing exam for college undergraduate credit. Do you have any recommended resources, pacing, advice for these courses?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find out the texts used at the school you want to attend, and work through them. That should put you on the right track.

Likes PhotonSSBM
To add to this: MITocw has video lectures for all these courses. And practice exams as well. Although the physics lectures are on youtube under a different channel. Search for "walter lewin 8.01" for mechanics.

1. What is the difference between mechanics and electromagnetism?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them, while electromagnetism is the branch that deals with the interaction between electrically charged particles and their magnetic fields.

2. How can I effectively self-study mechanics, electromagnetism, multivariable calculus, and differential equations?

Effective self-study in these subjects requires a combination of thorough understanding of fundamental concepts, practice with problem-solving techniques, and utilizing various resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.

3. What are some practical applications of multivariable calculus in mechanics and electromagnetism?

Multivariable calculus is essential in understanding the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, such as projectiles and planetary motion, as well as the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

4. How can I improve my understanding of differential equations in the context of mechanics and electromagnetism?

A strong foundation in calculus and algebra is crucial for understanding differential equations in mechanics and electromagnetism. Practice with solving differential equations, and understanding how they relate to real-world problems, can also help improve understanding.

5. What are some common challenges students face when self-studying mechanics, electromagnetism, multivariable calculus, and differential equations?

Some common challenges include understanding complex mathematical concepts, applying them to real-world problems, and staying motivated without the structure of a traditional classroom setting.