Mechanics problem about simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation involves finding the period of small fluctuations around the equilibrium point and the spring constant, using the potential energy function given. The force as a function of x is found to be F = 10x -10, and the spring constant can be determined from this equation. The solution involves a differential equation and knowledge of simple harmonic motion.
gipc
Hi,
Can anyone help me with this question?

The potential energy of mass (m=6KG) that is connected to a spring is given by:
U(x) = 5x ^ 2 -10x +12

Find the period of the small fluctuations around the equilibrium point (in seconds).

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the spring constant? Hint: How do you find the force as a function of x?

Well, I guess F=10x-10

and I've thought about doing

10x-10=-kx
but i don't think it will suffice.

Doesn't there has to be some differential equation involved? I'm really scared of those...

gipc said:
Well, I guess F=10x-10
Almost. F = - dU/dx. (You just forgot the minus sign.)

The constant just tells you that the equilibrium position is not at x = 0. You can read off the spring constant from that force equation.
Doesn't there has to be some differential equation involved?
Sure, but it's the same differential equation as for any simple harmonic motion. I assume you know the solution by heart or can look it up. If you knew the spring constant and the mass, could you find the period?

Doc Al said:
I assume you know the solution by heart or can look it up

Unfortunately, you assume wrong :uhh:

Perhaps someone can show me the mathematical steps needed to solve this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_harmonic_motion"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth along a straight line, with its maximum displacement at the ends and its equilibrium position at the center.

2. How do you calculate the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle. It can be calculated by using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the system.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of a simple harmonic motion is the number of cycles per unit of time. It is inversely proportional to the period, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases. This relationship can be represented by the formula f = 1/T.

4. How does amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It does not affect the period or frequency of the motion, but it does affect the maximum velocity and acceleration of the object. A larger amplitude will result in a greater maximum velocity and acceleration.

5. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, there is no external force acting on the system, and the motion will continue indefinitely. In damped harmonic motion, there is an external force (such as friction) that causes the oscillations to gradually decrease in amplitude and eventually come to a stop. Damped harmonic motion is a more realistic representation of real-world systems, while simple harmonic motion is an idealized concept used in physics calculations.