1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Question: Simply Supported Beam with Load

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bridge is idealized as a simply supported beam AB of length L, as shown in Figure 2. A
    four-wheeled vehicle of weightW now drives across the bridge. Sketch the shear force diagram
    for the case illustrated, where the rear wheel is a distance a from the left support. Notice that
    the two wheels are a distance d apart and the center of gravity of the vehicle is a distance d/3
    behind the front wheel. Use your results to determine the value of a at which the maximum
    bending moment reaches its greatest value, and find this value.

2. Relevant equations

Equilibrium equations, M(x)= ∫V(x), V(x) being shear force

3. The attempt at a solution

Drew a free body diagram of the car and bridge to find the reaction forces, one at each end and at the contact points of the car and the wheel. R1=W(1-(a+2d/3)/L), R2=W/3, R3=2W/3,R4= W(a+2d/3)/L from left to right. I then sketched a shear force diagram starting at
    V(0) = -R1
    V(a) = -R1 + R2
    V(a+d) = V(a)+R3
    V(L) = 0

I tried to use the areas under this curve (3 rectangles) and have them equal 0 and try to solve for a, but I couldn't get anywhere with that. any help/direction would be awesome.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2
    Never mind, got it. Same approach but more perseverance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?