Mechanics question, structure with unknown forces

In summary, the conversation is about finding the force between all members of a truss and using sections to solve the problem. The suggested method is to first find all external forces in the system and then use them to find the internal forces in the members. The person asking for help has already stated the problem and is looking for guidance on how to approach it. The suggested starting point is to find the reaction forces at points A and G by taking moments and applying the concept of equilibrium.

Homework Statement

1orsx1.jpg

Find force between all members.

Homework Equations

torque=force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

to use sections as seen in the photo, beyond that no idea how to attempt it. It would helpful if anyone could show me how to get the force out of even 1 member.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding ALL external forces in the system, then go onto using them to find the internal forces i.e the forces in the members.

using sections though, there seems to be no place to start

k well with these topics I have stated the problem in a sufficient capacity AFAIK

seems to be as many views here as there are on other more popular topics, maybe i should put a dancing cartoon in it

I normally turn to one of the instructors with these questions, takes them 5 minutes to work through it. But they aren't paid to do it. Neither are you. But I feel it is necessary to exhaust all resources before turning to these people in person. I am trying my best.

I just had my lecture on methods of sections this week, so forgive me if I'm a bit rusty.

A and G have reaction forces due to the external forces being applied to the truss. Take moments about point A or G and solve for Ay or Gy by applying the concept of equilibrium. Once you've got one, you can find the other by using the concept of equilibrium in the Y direction.

That is your starting point.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing structures with unknown forces?

The purpose of analyzing structures with unknown forces is to determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure, which are critical for ensuring its stability and safety.

2. What types of structures are typically analyzed using mechanics?

Mechanics can be applied to analyze a wide range of structures, including buildings, bridges, dams, and even everyday objects like chairs and bicycles.

3. How do you determine the magnitude and direction of unknown forces in a structure?

The magnitude and direction of unknown forces in a structure can be determined using principles of statics, such as the equations of equilibrium and the method of joints or sections.

4. Can mechanics be used to analyze structures with moving parts?

Yes, mechanics can be used to analyze structures with moving parts, as long as the forces involved are in equilibrium at any given moment.

5. What are some common challenges in analyzing structures with unknown forces?

Some common challenges in analyzing structures with unknown forces include accounting for all external and internal forces, dealing with complex geometries, and considering the effects of dynamic loads or changing conditions.

Suggested for: Mechanics question, structure with unknown forces

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies